Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Share your health battles

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Noeleter, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Thought it might be good to have a thread where people can share their stories of their battles with illness and provide support to each other. As for my story I was relatively healthy until about 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I was scheduled to go in and have my prostate removed. In the meantime I got a hernia and went in to have it treated.

Whilst operating they found that I was suffering from a rare cancer called PMP. Only about 1 in a million people get this cancer. The cancer starts in the appendix but spreads throughout the body which mine had done. It is often described as the worst cancer you can have and is incurable. So went back in to have the appendix removed and clean up what they could. As this was much more serious that the prostate cancer and they thought I would not survive for long with the PMP, the prostate operation was put on hold.

When PMP gets advanced they undertake what is referred to as MOAS (mother of all surgeries). It is normally about an 18 hour operation where all affected organs are removed. The body cavity is then filled with hot chemo for several hours. Luckily my PMP has not got to this stage yet. I have to undergo 6 monthly surgeries where they remove what tumors and Mucin (jelly like substance that PMP produces) they can.

Early last year they decided that as I had survived the PMP for about 3 years they would proceed with the Prostate surgery. So far it seems to have been successful although I am getting blood in my urine so have to go back into hospital for more investigations.

Have to have another PMP operation in about a week so hopefully it has not progressed too far.

It has been a tough few years medically and financially but it does make you appreciate what is important in life. Would love to hear about other peoples battles.

2. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper New Member

Members Ride:
    String Theory
    beat me to it! i'll post more later... looking forward to this thread!

3. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    While I have minor health issues, ie stuffed back, knees, elbows, wrists, use glasses and am booked in for hearing aids, it is nothing life threatening. Just minor uncomfortable things which are manageable.

Having had family members and friends that have gone through various cancers, some passed on, some still living, I do feel very sorry for people that have to go through the struggles associated with cancer....So to the OP.....Keep your chin up, which you seem to have and keep going with the fight. Hopefully old age will put you in your grave, rather than the cancer...(And I mean no malice by suggesting you ending up in your grave).

mantaray56, VS_Pete and Noeleter like this.
  4. Drewie

Drewie Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    I have had a bit of a bad run the past couple of months, 8 years ago I was diagnosed with a heart problem called Cardiomyopathy (weakening of the heart muscle) heart does not pump as well as it should, a few months back I started getting mildly breathless and sensed the heart sort of missing beats and an irregular beat, went to hospital and they said the heart was very erratic and that the electrical impulses were firing in the wrong order, so they had to stop my heart with an electrical shock and restarted it with another shock and it fired up in the correct order and it all settled into a nice idle (sounds like I am talking about the firing order on a car engine). Whilst in hospital they altered my medication, and 3 weeks later I was getting extremely breathless and I was back in hospital with fluid in the lungs, due to the change of medication, so now I am back on what I was on previously and am just starting to feel pretty good again, not quite as good as I was but a lot lot better and feeling better each day,

5. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
    I had an irregular heart beat back in 2002, had a pacemaker installed, and when doing the Echo they found a faulty aortic valve,
    which at the time wasnt a major issue. Over the years the valve got worse, and in 2011, I had to have open heart surgery to put in a new valve.
    All good untill about 5 months after, then depression set in real bad, had to give up my job, eventually getting back to work in a lesser job, mainly because of my age, and health.
    Still going OK, cant run a marathon(never could), but am happy to still be here. Always someone who has more problems than you, so just think positive, and do what your body will let you, not what your mind tells you.

mantaray56 and Noeleter like this.
  6. gossie

gossie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    Never felt better. I was born pre WW2.

Walk, jog, swim most days.

Eat well as in fresh vegetables and fruit, with very little meat, but we did have fish for dinner with salad.
    Steel cut oats is very good for breakfast with nuts and fruit mixed into it.......Purchase 1/2 kilo, cook it slowly in a large saucepan, then into the fridge and use what you want over the next few days......Heat it in the microwave.
    Never ever eat trash, no takeaway stuff ever or those chain places doing 'burgers and chook. Don't eat chook after having lived in the USA a couple of times in the '90s. Very bad stuff and how they raise those things to go into your mouth is a disgrace.
    We make our own pizza using flat bread with whatever toppings we want and into the oven.
    When eating out I choose carefully. Love middle eastern food.....In fact all family will be together for a Lebanese feast for Christmas day that we shall purchase on Saturday 24th to share.....Super healthy and truly delicious.
    Good wines and beer will be flowing...I love a drink.

I wear glasses for reading, and being of an age that the doctor has to approve me driving he decided I should have my eyes checked.
    I did this and was told I was marginal on needing glasses for driving, so I decided to buy a nice pair of transitions with the reading bit in the bottom.
    My readers that I've had for years did not need to be changed.

Have no aches or pains, and sleep well. What more can I say???
    Holiday regularly, both in Australia and overseas....One needs to travel to see other places and how interesting they can be.

Fantastic first wife...Think about that.....Great kids and grand children, nice home in a nice place.

We all pass on sooner or later, but best to make the best of what time you have.

Dayvo likes this.
  7. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    Up untill two years and one week ago to the day i have never had any health issues. The worst i ever had was a cold and the last time i was in hospital was when i was born. At 58 y.o i had a seriously big heart attack. One artery was completely blocked and my blood pressure was almost non existent . I was lucky my family was home to call an ambulance . My heart attack wasn't like you see in the movies where people grab their chest in agony and fall to the ground.Mine felt like indigestion which turned to chest pain and trouble breathing and then unconsiousness. I had a stent inserted up my arm from my wrist into my heart which brought instant relief . The side effects of the medication i was on plus thinking of all the what ifs if i didn't make it really messes with your head . One tablet i was on gave me mild asthma another made all my joints ache another made me forgetful . But now 2 years later i feel fitter than i have for ages plus medication has been cut right down . And if i do start to feel a bit depressed i think of the people that had a heart attack didn't make it then i realise how lucky i am

8. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Thanks guys. Some inspiring stories. It's amazing what can be done these days and there are more developments all the time. I have two amazing surgeons and the prostectomy was done with the help of a robot. However, I probably have the most respect for the nurses who do a great job, have to put up with a lot and still manage to keep smiling. Have had a few real angels while I have been ill.

commodore665, VS_Pete and mantaray56 like this.
  9. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    No physical health issues , mine are more mental health problems , but these are much better since I took early retirement from the NZ Police , much less stress , but I'll probably be on meds for depression forever , physically I'm in good nick , apart from taking cholesterol tablets daily and a low dose coated asprin , I keep active go to the gym daily and run twice a week and still teach youths boxing at a local sports club , I like going a few rounds myself when I can .

Dayvo and Noeleter like this.
  10. Crowny

Crowny Member

Members Ride:
    VY Executive
    I have eczema and diabetes. At one stage my eczema was so bad that my whole forearms and stomach were red and constantly itching. I couldn't even turn the heater on without it itching my skin and I had trouble sleeping. To top it off I had diabetes that caused me to feel dizzy whenever I bent down, I had puss in various parts of my body and one leg was swollen to one and a half times the other one.

I started drinking kangen water which is alkaline ionized water (I bought a machine that turns tap water into kangen water). Since then my condition has improved dramatically. I not longer feel dizzy when I bend down, my legs are no longer swollen (and I don't have to limp to get around) and my arms are normal again. The kangen water machine is expensive but totally worth it. Kangen water can also treat conditions such as cancer. It is miracle stuff..

11. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Interesting thread. Probably find it will be almost exclusively inhabited by the over 50's so we can spread the suffering around in a sympathetic environment.

Looking at what some of you have had to endure for many years, I guess I've been incredibly lucky. Until around 2005, my health had been remarkably sound. I'd had two eye operations (at 11 months and 11 years) to rectify a turn in one eye. The damned thing returned and by the early 1990's, the condition was so bad that further surgery was required. The difference in manner of treatment between 1963 (11 y.o.) and 1992 (40 y.o.) was amazing. The 1963 op required admission the day prior to surgery and six days post surgery with both eyes fully covered. By 1992, it was day surgery - in at midday, op at 4.30, overnight with eyes covered and released the next day with eyes exposed.

By the early 2000's, age was starting to make its presence felt and within eighteen months, I suffered a retinal occlusion which has left vision in the left eye impaired to some extent, calcification of two vertebra in the neck which presses on the nerves to my right arm occassionally, and a torn meniscus in the right knee. An arthroscopy of the knee revealed very little cartilage left and bone to bone friction at one location. Ten years later, it's just bone to bone - the last vestiges of cartilage departed the scene years ago. Now, the left knee is trying to catch up. Neither of them are worth a bumper but I'll put off surgery until as late as possible. It hinders my movements to some extent - getting up off the floor is difficult and entering or leaving some cars can be a pain literally.

In 2006, my gall bladder decided to go on strike. I'd been suffering pretty bad indigestion for some years but by this time, it had reached crisis point and one night was as bad as any I had ever experienced. I woke the other half to tell her I was going to the hospital - she asked if I wanted her to drive - to which I said "stay here, I'll ok to get there myself." Bad decision. NEVER drive yourself ten k's to hospital with a gall bladder attack.Two weeks later, bye bye bladder and the 23mm stone that had caused the problem. The only really serious op I have ever had and the only time I have had anything (other than a few fangs) removed.

Because of the combination of ailments that were afflicting me simultaneously, I was granted a medical discharge from the Police Department in 2008. I haven't missed the job for a minute, but the people will always remain in my thoughts. Since that time, I have found that I needed to commence to take anti-depressants to help control my temper and moderate my moods. Those of you on similar meds will know what it's like. I took them when I was working as I put my anxiety problems down to work demands and ceased taking them after discharge. Another bad move. I now know it wasn't work that was causing my problems - it was the other half. (There is actually some truth in this statement but I won't elaborate). This week, after three increasingly bad blood pressure test results over two months, I'm now on blood pressure meds as well. Shit, this aging business is fun.......

One thing that hasn't been touched on much on this thread is life expectancy. My family doesn't have much longevity on its side. My maternal grandmother made the 90's but no-one else had. Her brother and sister passed away in their 80's, my dad at 69 and mum at 79. I'd give myself around 20 more years max (ie 85) but frankly, with the extent of my ailments and the likely prognosis for each of them, combined with the slowly diminished capacity to do the things that I enjoy so much, I really don't expect much from life after 80. Stuffed if I want to be pushed around or have to use one of those walker contraptions. If I can't self-propel, give me a shovel. I strongly believe in each one of us having a genetic use-by-date and don't agree with prolonging life after a certain age just because medical science makes it possible. I believe euthanasia should be legalised and that each of us should be able to determine when we've had enough suffering. Maybe, by the time I get towards 80, it will be legal.

Just my two bobs worth.

mantaray56 and Dayvo like this.
  12. Hertz Donut

Hertz Donut Member

Members Ride:
    Beastmode VS Equipe
    Spondylosis (spinal osteoarthritis) here. Basically my back's knackered, but I've done so much damage to it over the years I can't tell the difference. I've been warned I'm a bee's twanger away from developing sciatica as well but meh, can't slow down just cos something's sore.

13. ChewieSV6

ChewieSV6 Member

Members Ride:
    2012 SV6
    Just over 6 years ago I developed a DVT in my left leg. Searching for a reason why discovered a mass on my left kidney, which was cancer. Kidney is gone now, so is the DVT and the cancer. Luckily it was discovered at an early stage and hadn't spread to other parts. I was lucky it caused the DVT or I wouldn't have known till it was all through my body. So, apart from that and needing glasses to read and hearing aids to hear, i'm in pretty good shape. I'm 64 in a week or so.

Noeleter likes this.
  14. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    I do suffer from Sciatica....But I agree, soreness isn't much of an excuse to slow down. It's quite surprising the number of young people I find coming into the trade, that complain their back hurts after a weeks work.....My answer to them is, toughen up or move onto another career path...

15. Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston Active Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
    I think as calaber said, life in years could be a problem, but medical improvement means we are still here, and live the life you can, while you can.
    My dad went at 70, mum 67, so I dont plan on much past 70-80 if lucky.
    I have a buggered back as well, some arthritis, and other minor issues(eye sight, hearing)

16. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Back into hospital over the last few days for another grease and oil change. Doctor recons I should be right for another 12 months or 15000km before the next service.

VS 5.0 and Calaber like this.
  17. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Did you get a flush with that. No offence intented mate.

18. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Not this time mate.

VS_Pete likes this.
  19. Commo Baba

Commo Baba Member

Members Ride:
    VX II Acclaim Wagon.
    It would be useful if I could get some treatment beyond painkillers, (although I'm glad to have them). 16yrs and counting. When I was 35 I Worked way too hard and fell over with Mysterious Chronic Illness that's had me ground down so far I've been close to dead a couple of times.
    'I built a whole car once' could be my epitaph cos I'm hard pushed to do anything now. Found the car I built recently on Facebook and it's still the pride and joy of the guy I sold it to. FJ Holden Hotrod. Saved it from the tip. That's my contribution to a greater humanity.

Lucky I got on with it when I could. Got all the fun things done so no regrets on that front. Now I just do what I can cos I wake up every day. (Even tho I live next door to a right prick !)

20. gopher

gopher Active Member

Members Ride:
    Car
    I've had a rare swallowing disease for the last 20 years where my oesophagus muscles don't work and food and some liquids like water are either impossible to get down or can take several hours to get down. (Fizzy drinks and hot food stimulate the muscles into sort of working)
    Chest pain every time I eat which is apparently comparable to heart attack pain every time I eat. Pains last as long as it takes for food to go down and have aspirated food into my lungs with the worst one being about 6 months ago where a CT scan showed many lesions on my lungs
    A lung specialist was convinced it was going to be lung cancer but biopsy was negative and 3 months later lungs had cleared and it was put down to an infection from aspiration
    I have to sleep upright until at least the early hours of the morning before I can then go to bed but still have to have about 3 pillows to keep my head propped up to prevent oesophagus contents going back into lungs
    Apart from that I'm healthy
    Have always been told that nothing can be done but I Am hoping that they can finally do surgery next year