Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shift Kit the Auto, or go the manual conversion?

Shift kitted Auto or Manual Conversion

• Shift Kitted Auto

Votes: 34 54.0%
  • Manual Conversion

Votes: 29 46.0%

• Total voters

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
with a good shift kitted auto you don't NEED to decide when to shift... cause it does it so much more efficiently than you could anyway :D

having been for a ride in sircruisealotVS's shift kitted VS any lingering thoughts I had of getting a manual conversion have GONE completely! its almost like there IS no shift... one moment you're in one gear, the next your in another... the power is continuous and seamless... I love it :D

the only cars with shift kits that i've been in, you definatly feel when it shifts, and its not when you want.
That and the fact when you wish to drive normal, you can't, the car will still chirp into 2nd/3rd (btw these were all V8s, not sure how different a V6 would be)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
the only cars with shift kits that i've been in, you definatly feel when it shifts, and its not when you want.
That and the fact when you wish to drive normal, you can't, the car will still chirp into 2nd/3rd (btw these were all V8s, not sure how different a V6 would be)

It totally depends on how its setup and what is done to the valvebody... i.e. With a stage 2/3 shiftkit from transgo you can still choose between mild, hard and hardest shifts with a few different modifications that are done on the valvebody (basicly the size of the holes you drill).

When driving normally, it should not chirp 2nd or 3rd gear. V8 or not.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
i guess the ones i went in were hardest setting.

Either way, it'll never make you have a clutch pedal. There no 2nd guessing that a manual is always worth more, and alot rarer in most models.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
um, the fact less were made maybe?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
um, the fact less were made maybe?

less were made because they were less popular!

mind you the majority of people who buy new cars are family people - the kind who are lazy and only drive cause they can't afford to pay someone else to drive... so they get an auto

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
haha, hence why i prefer a manual, rather than just be another drone in the traffic half asleep.

Could you buy a VZ Calais in manual? Didn't think so. Its just whats on offer now, until Mr Holden employs me as general manager, i guess there aint gonna be a manual Calais option.