Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

signs of a blocked catalytic converter

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Usually running rich & out of tune will eventually kill them or backfires do the trick.

If they're really old they might break apart or even copped decent hit or two.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've had a cat rattle before. I pulled it off and crow barred out the gear inside and ran it hollow. Made the car go a little bit better. I spoke to a few different mech's prior to knocking the guts out and they said it would be fine. Just beware it's not legal to run a hollow cat. It's fine down here because we only have rego inspections if the car is without rego for some time.

Last edited:

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Out of curiosity, does the Cat do anything useful when running on LPG?

Calvinator9

Reaction score
Members Ride
VfII sv6
I’ve had the same problem with my vf sv6 series 2. I found that the right hand side of the exhaust system was running hotter due to the “melted cat”. Since my sv6 is supercharged, the stock exhausts life span will drop 90% because your creating more pressure/strain on the stock system. On the lfx motors and the exhaust systems that come with it, the cats are integrated which is a cock setup . Once the cats go on the lfx exhaust manifolds, you would either get new cats grafted onto the existing manifold pipes, after market ones (only xforce make them) or just delete the cats entirely (which you would be in yellow defect sticker territory)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I bought a car years ago with a cat which had collapsed and rattled like blazes. It wasn't blocked, the honeycomb internals had just broken into myriad pieces. I took it off and shook all the broken honeycomb out, which came out in chunks. Some larger bit wouldn't fit through the pipe and I had to use a long screwdriver to break it into smaller pieces. Once I emptied out the pieces, there was nothing left but an empty shell. Completely illegal to refit and use it that way but it was already an old car and it sounded a lot better without the rattling tin can all the time.

gippa

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s-pac ute and vt commodore
can also cause a car not to start if it gets to blocked. as i had a vs ute that wasnt starting when 02 sensors were in but started when took them out or evan one out and then found cat was blocked so we unblocked t and car started with both 02 sensors in.

ItsJockey1996

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore executive l67
can also cause a car not to start if it gets to blocked. as i had a vs ute that wasnt starting when 02 sensors were in but started when took them out or evan one out and then found cat was blocked so we unblocked t and car started with both 02 sensors in.
That was a fun time trying to get that thing going hahah I remember it all