Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Software Suggestions For New Notebook

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Just got a new notebook with Windows 10, absolutely flies compared to the previous notebook I had, now I'm just wondering what software suggestions you would suggest for notebook maintenance like virus checkers, malware checkers, also photographic software, music players, pretty much anything you think would be appropriate to install for a brand new notebook, cheers.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Virus scan, i use McAfee - some will say it is resource hungy but meh.... Malware - malwarebytes. Photographic.. look at adobe products. Music, just use what is pre-installed, but chuck a video codec on like k-lite codec..

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Malware Bytes
CCleaner

I don't have music player (Assume the most popular still being iTunes or Winamp)
Dont have photographic software (Photoshop?)

If you plan to watch video's. VLC is hands down the best software I have used in over a decade for videos. Rarely, RARELY, have issues with unplayable file types. And if I do they are generally fixed within the next update.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Since Windows 7, unless you're constantly visiting dodgy websites, you can be reasonably safe without having to worry about specific software for protection. The built in Microsoft solutions are actually quite robust. The biggest argument for not adding something else is resources. Norton for example is actually referred to by most people I know as bloatware. It is a CPU and RAM hog. As are many others.

That said, having a product, like Gaiter has suggested, such as Malware Bytes, which is dormant unless running and checking. Wise to do from time to time, or if you suspect there's something.

Photo viewing and basic editing, ACDSee. For advanced, absolutely Photoshop.
Any music/video - VLC, hands down.
Chrome for browser.

And then it depends on what you want to do.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Since Windows 7, unless you're constantly visiting dodgy websites, you can be reasonably safe without having to worry about specific software for protection. The built in Microsoft solutions are actually quite robust. The biggest argument for not adding something else is resources. Norton for example is actually referred to by most people I know as bloatware. It is a CPU and RAM hog. As are many others.

Yea, I've never used anti-virus. Because I am paranoid maybe, but I reckon most of the common trojan's/viruses around seem to appear right as Norton/AVG/Avast/etc do an update. Hmm coincidence? I reckon anti-virus companies actually make bugs etc and aim them at their own customers. Haven't used an anti-virus program in 10 years, it's really about being proactive in what you click on. DONT click on advertisements. DONT open attachments from people you do not know or do not have a program affiliated with them.

And yes, Chrome for browser. Unless your memory starved and then Firefox. Both are good. Both are customisable. Both are very usable. #### IE.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
If there isn't one in it get an SSD to replace the internal drive. You think it's fast now....? :D

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Well first thing I did was throw Google Chrome on, then added the AdBlock Plus extension to the browser from the Google Store, so no more annoying YouTube adverts or useless advertisements on pages, from there I grabbed Malware Bytes, had McAfee on the notebook already but chose to run with Windows Defender instead, threw the latest iTunes software on, now to export over 60GB of music from the external hard drive, oh also found online an old version of Adobe Photoshop CS2, that'll do me no worries to edit photos of the car with, ummm... what else did I throw on...? Oh, also GIMP, but will probably uninstall that seeing I've got PS CS2 now, even though GIMP in more recent and up to date, but PS CS2 will do me no worries seeing I'm a noob.

Dodgy websites? Do Swedish MILF sites come under dodgy? HA.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
If there isn't one in it get an SSD to replace the internal drive. You think it's fast now....? :D

Grabbed an Acer Aspire F5-573G-73BD notebook, Intel Core i7, 3.1GHz, 16GB DDR4, 1000GB HDD, really happy with it compared to the notebook I grabbed like 6 months ago.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
Grabbed an Acer Aspire F5-573G-73BD notebook, Intel Core i7, 3.1GHz, 16GB DDR4, 1000GB HDD, really happy with it compared to the notebook I grabbed like 6 months ago.

comes with SSD doesn't it? that'll definitely make the biggest difference in speed.
like a few other people in the thread, i haven't run anti virus software in over 10 years. i always felt norton is worse than most viruses haha. as long as you don't download and run sus files from the net you should be fine. anti virus only protects you against known viruses anyway, in which case they've already infected tonnes of computers to be identified.
i'd do offline backups of the most important files.