Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Solution to Sticky fuel/temp guages

FuzzayD

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Executive 3.8i
Yeah

Sounds easy but im on day 3 of getting the fluxing Dash out!

88300d

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim stock
hi thanks to the contributers of theis thread my fuel guage works, but sadly my spedo now reads less than 0kms. any ideas

helix41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive wagon
I gotta say a huge thanks to the info in this thread I did the re-solder and it worked a treat
all gauges work ta da !!!

criten

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Had a sticky guages problem myself... also my odometer was broken. Got a replacement from the wreckers, and 2 days later it broke

Out of frustration I ended up attempting a repair on my old one. Found the odometer fault was just broken mounts that hold the PCB in place on the speedo. Got some slightly longer screws and fixed that, the trick was getting the gears around the right way as they had fallen out.

Checked for dry solder joints, didn't have any. I put a drop of sewing machine oil (really thin stuff) on each of the guage needles - where they pivot. Not sticking at all now, although the only drawback is the speedo doesn't drop below about 5km/h - although it appears accurate. I read some rubbish that you shouldn't touch the guage needles - whats wrong with doing this as long as you don't put a great deal of force into it and only move it along the area its supposed to move? I moved each of the guages around to work in the oil

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just fixed the L3 cluster fuel gauge. It had gone from some times working to not at all.

Poped the 3 pronged thingo out (after removing the tacho & speedo)

Dobbed a bit of Solder. Fuel gauge has now worked 7 times in a row:w00t:

Why did I wait soooo long to do this????:cry:

Last edited:

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Thanks for the info, had probs with guages for ages, and everyone else was happy with the "bash n crash" solution.

I have since made repairs, and happy to report all is working as per intended..

:bow:

Shaun Shady

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8
Sticky fuel/temp gauges

You guys are amazing!

This is the first time i've used a forum. I have to say it certainly has been useful to me today.

I haven't tried the fix for the sticky gauges yet but judging by the replies, i'm sure it will work.

Earlier today, in frustration, i used the forum to find out if there were any ideas/fixes for the ventilation fan not working at low speed. Sure enough there were several ideas/replies to fix most problems.

The fix for mine was to replace the resistor, thanks to Pete Vennix who described how to locate and replace the resistor.

Shaun Shady

Attachments

• Heater.doc
    21 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

drewdc90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
Tried to remedy the fuel gauge not working by following the detailed instrutions but still ended up with the gauge showing a quarter tank when nearly full. The previous owner had known about the volatge regulator

and had had it resoldered. I also cleaned the connections at the back of the cluster itself and also the dash connections. Then I decided to check the connectors to the float in the tank. After removing the rubber

boot that protects the plug I discovered both plugs had corroded similar to the tail and brake light plug. I cut the wires and removed the plug. Completely cleaned the plug, resoldered the wires, heat shrinked and

taped the plug back on and cleaned/ filed the connecter on the petrol tank float. Put all back together and miraculously gained over 1/2 a tank of fuel as it now indicates just over 3/4 a tank. So if soldering the

voltage reugulator does not do the trick just check your connections to the fuel tank float. Sorry I didnt take photos as the ones shown earlier make the job easy.

Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr ute
ok, would anybody say that this would be problematic for a VR as well? mine sticks 90% of the time before giving the old tap tap tapperoo on top of the dash. if so, would be handy to have someone do a write up in the VR-VS thread.

commodore_grant

VP COMMODORE S-PAC
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore s-pac 3.8 V6
Thanks for the info dudes it was ****ing me off everytime i look at the fuel guage it says empty and a good bash works