Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Some unsolved 304 conversion queries

Dan.

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange, VK 5L, VC gramps
G'day fellas.
I'm in the process of organising all my **** to do a EFI 5L conversion to my VK, originally a carby 202.
It is going to be initially running the 304 to a th400, through to a temporary locked 3.45 VL 25sp diff. It will be driven like this until I finish the 355 and source a 9" conversion. It's main purpose is as a burnout car with very occasional street duties (occasional as it will be definite sticker bait). I know the VL diff won't last.
I have a complete VS V8 BT1 and a VL for parts and have sourced the th400 along with a spare.
I would like to run my perspective on the conversion past those in the know.

I have sourced a VN loom to fit to the VS V8 to make the wiring a little easier.
I will be fitting the VS V8 K-frame using VK suspension. I will be using the VS steering rack.
It will not be running an AC compressor (no need)
I am yet to source either pacemaker PH5600 or PH5700 extractors.
It will have the TH400 behind it. I will fabricate a trans crossmember to suit, from what I see it is a relatively simple design.
Induction will be a simple, gay pod filter for now as the new motor will have a Group A style manifold.
I am planning to run the VS EFI tank, and run the return line along the existing fuel lines. I understand that I need to wire this up via a relay.
The VN loom and ECU - I am planning to mount the ECU in the passengers side kick panel as the second gen commodores have with the hole cut in the firewall to suit. I am planning on essentially tucking the old VK loom away out of sight, and joining the looms at the battery - essentially running two looms.
I am also planning on using the VS radiator however I will likely have to modify or change the lower rad support to suit?

No doubt there are a few more things I should mention but after a 12hr shift my mind is a bit hazy.

My questions are.
1) Does anybody (particularly those who have run a th400 in a VL) know what I should be doing with the tailshaft. I have seen that the V6 conversions with a TH700 use a VN front and VK or VL rear depending on diff. But I am unsure despite how much I search whether the th400 and the th700 are the same length, which I doubt. Also you have had to make a custom tailshaft did you go for single piece or two piece.
2) Those that have run a TH400 what shifter are you using and has it proved reliable? I have never drove a car with an aftermarket shifter before and wouldn't have a clue what is better than another.
3) Am I ####ing up somewhere in my game plan?
4) Will the standard trimatic speedo drive work in the TH400 or should I be sourcing one from a TH400 equipped VB SL/E?
5) Where's the best place to mount a Chev badge on a VK? I'm having issues working out weight distribution.
..... taking the piss.

You will have to humour me a little fellas. I am away for work until the 6th June and have until the 14th June (eight solid days) to get this first stage of the build completed for a burnout day and thus I can't just go outside and measure things. I am trying to make sure that I have everything that I need ready for me as soon as I'm back so that I can hit it hard.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have researched the **** out of this in the past few months but the problem is with all the conflicting information out there (especially things based on personal opinion) it gets quite confusing.

Dan.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow first post and I've been a member since '06.

brockzila

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais
[/QUOTE]5) Where's the best place to mount a Chev badge on a VK? I'm having issues working out weight distribution.
..... taking the piss.[/QUOTE]

Gold :)

Sorry i have no answers for you

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
304 conversion I can assist with
auto trans questions I can't answer unfortunately.

one question or question mark... I can answer/confirm. If you are going to use a VN-VS radiator, you'll need to cut the lower radiator tie bar off and replace with a VL item

Dan.

Reaction score
Members Ride
304 conversion I can assist with
auto trans questions I can't answer unfortunately.

one question or question mark... I can answer/confirm. If you are going to use a VN-VS radiator, you'll need to cut the lower radiator tie bar off and replace with a VL item

Hi mate, thanks. I thought that may be the case.
When you have done a 304 conversion in the past did you see any reason as to why running the two looms in that fashion would not work?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Not keen to go carb?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Hi mate, thanks. I thought that may be the case.
When you have done a 304 conversion in the past did you see any reason as to why running the two looms in that fashion would not work?

there's no reason why it won't work
I used a VR manual loom for all the engine EFI and ignition. I also fit the ECU to the passenger side kick panel and cut a hole in the firewall just above the l/h/s chassis rail to accommodate the EFI loom. I spliced the ignition and B+ power from the VH engine loom connector at the firewall. The rest of the electrics in the engine bay is original VH engine harness, with some minor mods to the alternator connections (to suit the later model alternator)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Can't really answer your questions, but when it comes time to get your extractors, I can do them at a good price.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
if its a burnout why not carb, why GrpA manifold?? even if u stay efi....why not go a s/plane manifold like a harrop or pro paw!

a pro ratchet shifter!

as for the t/shaft to suit the bw diff and a th400> (do u have the shaft already?) mount the box, fit the rear shaft to suit the diff and measure the front half to suit.
as for the front it may need to shortened....to give u an idea...i had mine shortened, reco'd and balanced!.....it was cheaper to do this than to source a correct sized front half and have it all fitted and balanced...just a thought to consider.

when u get the 9" diff sorted, go a 1 piece tailshaft

as for fuel pump, it will need a relay and a safety cut out triggered from the negative side of coil or the ecu/ign module..

your chev badge will mount fine to your rear r/h tyre