Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sound 'deadener'

Claymore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I bought some sound deadening sheets a while back with the intent of placing them behind the front split woofers. Having taken the door trim off it seems like a hell of a lot of stuffing around to install it.

What are your oppinions on the value of sound deadening material, and is it worth the trouble of installing it?

Cheers again, Dave

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
too right it is buddy. half of my doors weight would probably be sound deadening - i bought some of that sound deadening stuff from holden - $30 a sheet. I used roughly 1.5 sheets on each door. When you knock on them you can really feel the difference, and comparing the sound to my friends stock ute there's marginal improvement in your mid range frequencies.

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
It is worth it...Well worth it, but you need to get in the mood for doing it ^_^ lol you can't just do a half job with it...

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
too right it is buddy. half of my doors weight would probably be sound deadening - i bought some of that sound deadening stuff from holden - $30 a sheet. I used roughly 1.5 sheets on each door. When you knock on them you can really feel the difference, and comparing the sound to my friends stock ute there's marginal improvement in your mid range frequencies.

you got it from holden? is it like dynamat?

Juztin

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE Auto
I'm getting my mate to do my system he is in the area of doing audio etc and sound deadener is one of the top priority's on my list =P

Claymore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I currently have 2 sheets of 10"x12", will this be enough for the two front doors or should I look at getting more?

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
It is worth it...Well worth it, but you need to get in the mood for doing it ^_^ lol you can't just do a half job with it...

To true! The best way i found to get in the mood for such an occasion is a few:drink: however you can also attempt it the good ol fashioned way without a beer....:wax::(:wax::cry::wax::mad::wax::realangry::wax::shooting:...........:)

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
you got it from holden? is it like dynamat?

It's sound deadener, not exactly as shiny as dynamat or anything but it does the job. It doesnt have adhesive on it but a small tub of selley's kwik grip did my doors - you've got two more than i do though.

GM Part No M40384 if anyone's interested.
Comes in massive sheets a bit bigger than those bits of coloured cardboard you get from newsagents to do school projects on.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Can't say I thought it was worth it when I did my VT.

The money and effort involved aside, it made bugger-all difference to how much road noise got in (I used 2 sheets per door, and yes tapping on the door it sounded much more "solid", but on-road was pretty weak). In terms of how it made the speakers sound, I can't say I noticed much.

Given that the sound deadening the VZ comes with from the factory, I wouldn't bother personally.