Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

South Australia unregistered vehicle permits. Long relocation journey (SA, VIC, NSW)

jamie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S pack
Hi all,

Just after someone that could possibly shed a little light on South Australian unregistered vehicle permit details.

I live in Albury/Wodonga (border of NSW and VIC, and am looking at purchasing an unregistered VT SS from Adelaide SA, and relocating it back home. That's a 9.5 hour trip that goes from Adelaide SA, briefly through VIC, then the rest of the journey through NSW, which is the most direct and shortest route according the Google maps. I can get to Adelaide from here for less than 70 bucks, the biggest cost for me is going to be the petrol I use driving home.

Now I am aware I have to purchase a permit from the state in which the journey commences. I have a few questions in regards to the permit but am having some trouble contacting the road authorities of South Australia during their business hours due to work commitments.

The questions I have are;

How do I go about getting the permit? Can I just rock up to the road authority office in Adelaide early in the morning, fill out the paper work then and there, get the permit and then go pick up the car?
I ask that because I downloaded a copy of the permit and noticed down the bottom there is a section for "Police use only"
Does that mean I need to go pick up a permit, fill it out, go to a police station, have them fill out that small bottom section, and then go back to the road authority office to have it lodged and permit issued?
Are the permits issued instantly then and there on the spot at the office?

Will there be any issues with obtaining a permit for a journey so long? The last thing I want is to arrive in Adelaide to pick up the car and have my permit rejected and no way to drive the car home.

Has anyone ever done such a big trip with an unregistered permit and run into any issues with obtaining one for a trip that big?

Also, am I able to print out a copy of the downloaded pdf permit online and fill it out like that to save some running around when I arrive in Adelaide? Or does it have to be a legit copy of the form from a road authority office?

I've read through everything I can find on each state's road authority website but can't find much about my specific questions.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thank you,
Jay

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I reckon the best thing you could do is email each state authority because you are so busy with your work commitments.
Ask them the questions you have asked here about what you want to do.

FWIW. I have moved vehicles plenty of times over the years via a permit. They have always wanted detailed routes of travel, any estimated stops (fuel & rest) and the estimated times you would be travelling. But I have never moved a vehicle interstate on a permit.

Just a thought, but it may be easier to put it on a truck/transporter and get it delivered instead of dealing with 3 different state rego authorities.
Obviously it won't be the cheapest option though.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
As has been said would be easier to put it on a truck or trailer. You would need to pay the relevant fee as well as CTP insurance and ensure the vehicle is safe. You are not allowed to drive with plates on so would probably get pulled up half a dozen times at least during the journey. If there was a crash due to a problem with the vehicle you would be liable. Then there is always the possibility of breakdowns during the journey. Not worth the hassle.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I will third that you have to buy a permit for every state, I know it's an issue on the NSW/ACT border. That coupled with uncertainties of a car you haven't seen with your own eyes or test driven before would make me trailer it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S pack
I am under the impression I only have to purchase a permit from the state in which the journey begins. And they are not specifically and only for obtaining a road worthy, registration or repairs. You can use them to relocate a newly purchased vehicle from one address to another that is currently not registered..

These are copied and pasted directly from each states Road Authority Website;

NSW
"An Unregistered Vehicle Permit (UVP) allows you to drive or ride an unregistered vehicle on the road network for a specific journey.

Permits are valid for up to 28 days, and allow for a:
*Single journey from A to B
*Return journey from A to B to A
*Number of defined trips to be completed within 28 days, for example from A to B to C to D
*Specific purpose over a number of days, up to a maximum of 28. For example, for harvesting during a defined period."

"Permits issued in NSW are valid in all states and territories. NSW recognises permits issued in all other jurisdictions provided the vehicle is operated in accordance with the conditions of the home jurisdiction."

VIC
"UVPs are intended to cover situations such as:
*preparing an unregistered vehicle for registration
*moving a vehicle from place to place on a one-off basis
*using heavy earthmoving equipment which need to cross or operate on public roads in the course of construction work and cannot meet registration requirements
*using a rally vehicle on the road
*using a carnival float on the road."

"Single Trip or Journey (moving a vehicle from place to place on a one-off basis): ◦The vehicle can be used for a single journey as specified on permit
◦Travel must be by the most direct route only
◦Maximum of 7 days"

"Victorian UVP's issued for interstate travel (e.g. to go to a place of registration or repair), are recognised by interstate authorities. If you need to drive a vehicle from another state (except Western Australia) to Victoria you need to obtain a UVP from the relevant state in which your journey begins."

SA
"Relocation/repair of a vehicle - issued for up to 3 days depending on the nature of the repair or relocation. "

And hey, there's absolutely no need for negative comments like that, for your information, I wouldn't exactly call it a "**** box", it may be a VT, yes, but it's had an LS1 from a VZ SS installed with only 89,000 on the clock. Brand new gear box, brand new clutch, brand new flywheel, immaculate VX SS black leather seats, 3.9 LSD, full exhaust system with custom extractors, MAFless tune, 244rwkw (dyno papers provided), professionally (and legally) lowered, very straight and clean body...
Receipts for all work are provided upon sale

The guy I'm buying it from seems very genuine, knows his car well, and has taken very good care of it over the years he's owned it. He just wants to go away from cars now and get into road bikes..

And as for insurance? That's why an unregistered permit is required to drive an unregistered vehicle on public roads.

SA
"This form is an application for registration and Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance under the Motor Vehicles Act 1959."

NSW
"The cost for a permit includes the permit fee and CTP insurance. This CTP insurance only covers you on roads and road-related areas. It does not cover you on private property."

VIC
"The cost of a UVP depends on the duration, type of vehicle and garaged address. The cost includes a permit fee and the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) charge(External link). The TAC charge pays for treatment and support services for people injured in transport accidents."

Anyway,
I've got most of my bases covered, it's just those few small niggly things I wanted some light shed on. Thanks for the suggestion of email, I might do that, too. Thank you.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I still think its a ####s act what he wants to do . Put the thing on a trailer if it breaks down or causes an accident what happens then?

WTF? What on earth makes you think just because this particular car is unregistered it's unreliable or unsafe? It may be uninsured but the op is willing to cover that with a permit. Seems like a better plan to me than paying through the nose for trucking.

jamie21

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S pack
Didn't your mother ever teach you, if you got nothing nice or helpful to say, then don't say anything at all..?

It's out of rego because he has other cars on the road and other interests in life to pursue now. Hence getting rid of it to buy a road bike.

I don't think breakdowns will happen. The car sounds to be in very good condition, and very very well maintained. But haven't ruled it out. I am covered by RACV Total Care, which is supposed to cover breakdowns of "Any vehicle you are driving" to be towed to either an agreed location within a set distance, or to the nearest RACV service center for repair. I've scoured their terms and conditions to find anything about transporting an unregistered vehicle on a permit. It says "Any vehicle" but no clarification on anything else. I'm going to give them a call after work tomorrow to ask that question.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Thread cleaned. Jamie is seeking assistance and knowledge, not opinions on the supposed state of unroadworthy cars in SA.

If you cannot answer his questions don't post.

Next troll will receive an infraction.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
So is it even legal to drive across the state on a permit? I didn't say any thing that wasn't true couldn't give a rats arse about a infraction ban me couldn't give a ####

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Thanks for the suggestion of email, I might do that, too. Thank you.

You're welcome mate.
Hope you get it home without any drama.

The car sounds like a good thing from what you described. And not an "unregistered & unroadworthy shitbox" as some others seem to think it is.
At the end of the day if you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

I didn't know that you could travel interstate on the permits. Good to know for future reference.
Learnt something new today :thumbsup:

Last edited: