Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SP tools. any good?

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
hey guys, im a 1st year apprentice at holden and im looking around for a tool kit. i've been considering a repco package which is worth $1,499 and basically has every i would need.

but i have come across a brand called SP which looks pretty good from what i can see, and seems to be in the same sort of price range which makes me think its not "cheap 'n nasty". apparently stone brothers racing uses them or something along those lines too.

i'm asking because i dont want to fork out $1,600 only to find that they are **** and cheap, or break easily.

does anybody on here use them? sell them? havbe any advice?

i also want to know if they have a lifetime warranty with them like most other brands. take repco for example, you break a tool, you take it back to the shop and they swap it over for a new one. it's as easy as that.

thanks for any advice.

sp50103.jpg

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
I had some apprentices buy SP tools at my last job, and I don't believe they had a problem. Provided it comes with a lifetime warranty, It doesnt matter what brand you get.

I have an SP Air 1/2 Rattle Gun that I bought for $180 about three years ago, and I have never had a problem with it. And it was only slightly less powerful then a much more expensive Snap On one.

One bit of advice I can give; when you buy your tool boxes, always buy with room for expansion in mind. In other words, buy bigger boxes then what you think you will need, as you will always find stuff to put in them down the track.

That box does look impressive, but where will you put extra spanner sets and stuff like that?

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Never heard of SP mate, but ive got a set of repco combination spanners and they are mint! Would def recomend them.
Kingchrome and sidchrome are decent too man

iRiot

Merc with a Mouth
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Holden VR Caprice V8 HSV Enhanced
i have that chest in yellow they are good

richardsworkcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE S2 V6
My suggestion would be go with Repco, the main reason are I know the tools are good and if you do have a warranty issue they have stores everywhere. I have a few repco tools and find them pretty good, nice ratchets and spanners, The repco screwdrivers are a bit ordinary though. SP air tools are distributed through Austec in Dandenong Sth, I assume they also are the distributor for the tools are well, I have no idea what there hand tools are like but check the tool box has bearing slides (that sort of thing) I know repco generally will just hand over another tool on the spot, check SP do the same thing, its easy to lose tools when they send them away for evaluation (I was always chasing warranty tools that never seemed to return) the phone number for Austec is 9706 5588 email [email protected] maybe call or email them and check there warranty info and maybe ask them a few questions. Another good mid range tool is Teng tools available through most bearing suppliers, Hope that helps!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
One bit of advice I can give; when you buy your tool boxes, always buy with room for expansion in mind. In other words, buy bigger boxes then what you think you will need, as you will always find stuff to put in them down the track.

That box does look impressive, but where will you put extra spanner sets and stuff like that?

you pull the plastic and cardboard pretty up boxes out and drop the tools in, more space. then for the sockets you buy some of these

040210329.jpg

it just takes a bit of organising and you can stuff heaps in there while being able to find each tool relatively easy

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
thanks for the quick repies guys. i have emailed asking about warranties and such, so i am waiting for a reply from them to see what the deal is, and if there is somewhere in vic i can see some products as opposed to the internet. as for room, what hakhawk said, once you take the tools out of the packets there is plenty of room. as for size of the box, the only negative is they don't make the smaller 2 drawer "ad on" chest that i can see, but i'm not TOO worried. if needed, i can always get something else to store bigger items. the toolbox will be sitting on a rolling trolley so i can fit things there.

as for the box being good quality, it is nearly double the price of a repco one of similar size. ball bearings, gas struts etc. so i think it will last.

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
I have a set in my work van,had them about 6 months and not a single failure,the only downside i have seen is that the smaller sockets IE 1/4" drive could be single hex,i work on forklifts so they get a good "testing" at times.
Bare in mind these are just as easy to misplace as "snapon" tools.
Phillip :wax:

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
yeh SP racing tools arent bad id recommend em

vtdemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina / HT Sedan (project)
I've got some of the straight "snap-on" style ring spanners in my work toolkit and a 1/2" 500ft/lbs rattle gun and can't complain. Pretty much the best Air tools around that's for sure. A Workmate uses an SP 1/4" and 3/8" socket sets and doesn't complain.