Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Space 2099 a Space 1999 possible reboot?

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Well.. here is a show that I enjoyed as a kid. Read long ago the show was very expensive to produce and was cancelled. What always caught my attention was their communicators. Those tiny black and white TV screens, the Panasonic TR-001. Back then, with nothing but vacuum tubes and max of 21 diagonal inches TV Colour Screens the show was amazing. Now days with CGI and all the tech makes it look like a cheap show. The series was a bit sombre, dark and kind of a downer but my dad and I we loved the show. Found in Hulu the entire series and binge watching.

Another show was UFO; funny to see what was their vision of 1980 with the Purple Hair Moon Base "Go-Go" Girls :rofl2:

Apparently, is in the works for a reboot. I think, if is true, the show can benefit of some good CGI and better writing without the technological restrictions.

That concept isn’t going to fly for modern audiences without some sort of serious rejiggering, but it sounds like Hall and company are aware of that. From the sound of things, Space: 2099 will be very much its own show. It isn’t a sequel to, or really even a direct remake of, Space: 1999. Hall says:

Space: 2099‘s goal is not to attempt to re-tell the specific story of Space: 1999. We are not trying to make some “dark and gritty” version of Space: 1999. There is no reason to re-tell the Space: 1999 story since we already have Space: 1999! However, through our new story and presentation, Space: 2099 hopes to re-kindle and remind fans of those memories of a show from 35 years ago, but more importantly help bring back to all science fiction fans that sense of awe, fear and incredible spectacle that is the unknown, unexplored universe. It is important that we endeavor to bring something new and exciting to the table.

2099poster.jpg

Com System

spb0648.jpg

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Cool, I used to love that show.
theme song sounded like cats fighting ,lol

:rofl2:

I know... is was the 70s disco influence :rofl:; if you think about it; that was the thing back then. The second season changed the theme, it became more "USA-ish".

What I always question was how many Eagles they got and how many were called Eagle 1; looks like a minimum of 1 Eagle was destroyed on every episode. They must have an endless supply of them and pilots too.

Here is your video....

Last edited by a moderator:

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Watching it now :beer chug:

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I am now on Season 1 Episode 18 :D

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
What always found fascinating, the whole show was made with models; not a single CGI effect. Apparently Brian Johnson (FX Artist) work influenced George Lucas to do Star Wars.

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
I think we are showing our age ,lol

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
This was produced in 13 September 1999 as a "closure" for the show. Sandra Baines explains it on this short video. If you watch Breakaway the 1st episode of season 1 the transmission from the distant planet, the probe they were working on, is them (alphans) sending a signal from the future; Maya created the transmitter to send the signal.

Last edited by a moderator: