Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spare 1.5 grand, what do?

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I'm getting a full exhaust system, extractors and cats included for $925 fitted soon. And was looking at a diff with 3.9's on ebay for $850 but can't seem to find many more

MACE

Reaction score
It's never a good idea to mod your car if there is an underlying problem with a vehicle (such as in a need of a service).

In regards to getting a full exhaust system done given your current level of mods I personally wouldn't. Cat back exhaust system is fine and is definitely an excellent value for money mod, extractors on the other hand are better suited to supporting other higher end mods (think cam).

If you were to install a cat back system first then extractors, you'll likely find that you'll lose some bottom end and gain some top end. Same with the cat, unless your current one is buggered then I wouldn't worry about it, as going a higher flow one will do a similar sort of thing and increase exhaust note in the process. The later may or may not be suited to your tastes.

This aside though the price seems reasonable, depending on the products used

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I was thinking about you today frogsta, and do you know what I would do with $1500 if I was you?

Buy an entry level tool kit. It will be something you might possibly use for the rest of your life. A good investment I would think.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Woot you were thinking about me ahah, I've sorta booked a date for the exhaust system already and well I'm not much of a mechanics person so i dunno :/
Also Steve yeah I do understand that, I'm not all that fussed though my exhaust does have holes in it atm so I though why not hit two birds with one stone?
Besides that, I'll probably be doing a few smaller things not sure about a cam and stuff anymore, but definitely an LSD diff of around 3.7 gears. Considering the current one's breaking looks like I'm gonna have to start saving for one now hah

Edit; and I'd assume extractors and the system would be better than my exhaust spraying air everywhere anyway, it feels so gutless with the sound atm haha

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Woot you were thinking about me ahah, I've sorta booked a date for the exhaust system already and well I'm not much of a mechanics person so i dunno :/
Also Steve yeah I do understand that, I'm not all that fussed though my exhaust does have holes in it atm so I though why not hit two birds with one stone?
Besides that, I'll probably be doing a few smaller things not sure about a cam and stuff anymore, but definitely an LSD diff of around 3.7 gears. Considering the current one's breaking looks like I'm gonna have to start saving for one now hah

Edit; and I'd assume extractors and the system would be better than my exhaust spraying air everywhere anyway, it feels so gutless with the sound atm haha

Lol I was just thinking about what I would do with $1500. last year I got $2500 for school. I can only remember I spent it on my car, cant remember what on though. Probably money down the drain. but yeh so i though if I had $2500 again I would buy tools lol

Oh yeh maybe your not much of a mechanics person, but you cant learn to write without a pen!

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Well true I am getting there, I know a fair bit more than last year about cars and stuff now anyway. Yeah my last scholarshp payout I bought this car and a new beast PC, bought the parts, built by a mate. Money well spent I believe haha, it is a good point though so I shall think about it and see how I go next payout, hopefully be done with my car.

MACE

Reaction score
If your current cast exhaust manifolds have holes in them I can't say that that's common at all (in an ecotec). It's for this reason they're comfortably used in turbo applications. As for the diff gears, you'll have to get the speedo recalibrated (using something like this Speedo Corrector MkII Kit "Kit Back Catalogue" - Jaycar Electronics) and the shift points will likely need to be adjusted in the memcal for full throttle gear changes. With a 3.45 ratio you should be able to get away with the later though.

Regardless on which we you go, I'm sure you'll enjoy the process associated with developing your ride, and will genuinely be a good learning experience :)

Cheers,
Steve

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
All the air seems to be coming from right under the front doors, my mate had a look and welded it up, but it's come back apart I guess.