Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

spark plug gap

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
It would be wrong to quote something with out having a practical test on the subject, an NGK commodore plug in good condition set at a tight fitting 1.5 mm feeler (allowing for the spring of the electrode) it's actually .007" or .18 mm smaller if measured correctly.

You might get more if you try but I kinda like my feeler gauge set to be accurate.

That makes your plug gap, Exactly 1.32 mm and a poorly running engine.

Booyeah !

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm surprised no one has said that spark plug manufacturers recommend you set the gap with a wire gauge.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
yep, i must be a google mechanic. not that i've ever had a problem with plug gaps and my feeler gauges are just fine

i quoted the relevant part. no interpretation required, it is poor advice.

It would be wrong to quote something with out having a practical test on the subject, an NGK commodore plug in good condition set at a tight fitting 1.5 mm feeler (allowing for the spring of the electrode)

this suggests that you infact don't know how to use feeler gauges as you shouldn't need to force the feeler gauge into the gap. if the electode springs closed again you obviously ahven't set it correctly:thumbsup:

as i already stated earlier, plugs gapped at 1.3mm don't cuase a poor running engine. you loose some fuel mileage, thats about it. i know this from experience.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I used to set mine in the V6 at 1.5 with a 1.5mm drill bit, How tech is that :)

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
On my vs service manual it says 8-9mm gap?

1.5mm is the stock gap, but always make it a slightly loose fitting 1.5 so the feeler gauges go in fairly easy, A tight 1.5 might be in reality 1.3 mm - 1.4 mm , never any smaller than 1.5 or it will miss and fart, lose power, idle rough, and run like a complete dog, etc.

If plugs are of correct make, heat range and gap, any miss then is generally down to faulty old leads, that is with all other things being correct.

You should have the gap shown on a sticker under the hood on the R side spring tower.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
What a thread! - set plug gaps from 1mm to 9mm, use a feeler gauge, wire gauge or drill bit to set them, run 'em on gas or petrol its all the same and finally never remove them till they fail.

mildewmatt - what did you finally decide on?:wax:

mildewmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 WH II Statesman
Wow. I just used the gap holden gave them to me with and it was fine! Didn't realize i'd caused such a fuss!

Having read this thread, I've actually decided on death, it's much easier!

Mates85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
digging up an old thread here a little but ive got a VP motor in my 4runner i just bought , wondering what the spark plug gaps should be for it , i bought new plug NGK from auto shop just want to check the gaps before i put them in !

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
1.5mm is correct setting for the gap