Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline creaking in rear of cabin on driveways...

We44pn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
"Mate there is a fault with it I had mine changed twice"

Had your what changed?

Honestly mate it was like a 3 word part and i forgot as im not too familiar with car parts. It wasn't the actual shocks or springs but some "rear frame" I could find out if you like by calling Service it will be in my notes

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
My SSV Redline does it, I thought it was the leather seats in the rear as that's where the noise comes from - every time I reverse out my driveway and going over the speed humps in the carpark at work ...

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
mine done the same thing and was fixed on last service, it was part of the recall about some nuts or bolts need to be retorque.
i might be wrong ...

Jaylaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 MY15 VF SSV Redline
My 2015 MY15 SSV Redline does the same thing, has since new.

As others have mentioned It only 'creaks' on angles or driveways, I assumed it was the back leather seat rubbing against itself, but if that's true it means the body's flexing which doesn't seem good at all.

In additional news on this issue?

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I had a Ford, once, and it had creaking noises going over bumps and drive ways. Got under the car and tension wrenched all chassis bolts and suspension fixings etc. Noises went.

In the VF and WN Service Book page 33, at 36 months or 60000km the book states:
Check and tighten bolts and nuts on chassis and body.

From memory, some members have had this problem as the dealer had not performed the activity. They complained, the bolts were tightened and the noises have disappeared. Maybe some bolts were not torqued properly when new?

Perhaps your car may respond to this treatment?
(Sorry if this post is a bit messy, I have an ADF ad covering the text.)

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
When I turn right hard or the car twists entering a driveway but turning right, I get a light clunk from what sounds like inside the roof liner behind the sunroof.
Holden say it's the roof lining and they'll replace it. Sounds like a thick lose wire hitting the metal of the roof

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
I have had 3 VF's and all have made that noise reversing out of my driveway. Again, it's just contributes to the poor build quality of these cars. It deserves better to match the performance and fun factor of the VF.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I certainly wouldn't describe the build quality as poor, Duaned.
I've only owned one VF to date. I've driven in excess of a dozen from 2 fleets though. Really the only issue i have had was a sharp edge on the dipstick. Any other issues were caused by my dealer. Ok, now clearly you can pay a lot more for a comparable car, say an Audi, or BMW with a somewhat better fit and finish. Enough to justify the price? That's subjective. But, name me one Aus built car, with better overall design, fit and finish? In fact, relatively speaking, name me one in this category, comparable in size, funtionality, performance and price, with a better "overall quality" from anywhere? Seriously, I'm interested to know.
Regarding the OP and others noise issues, my driveway angle and silly rounded gutter design is such that, if I don't get the entry just right, my car will get stuck momentarilly mid air. The right front wheel and left rear are completely off the ground. The car rocks backwards and forwards diagonally until: I either apply some more accelerator, whereby the LSD pushes the car forward (not preferred); or reverse, adjust my angle and approach speed and in an ungainly sort of way, breach the kerb. Do I hear any unusual noises? No. Not in mine, nor either of my work VF SV6's. I do sometimes hear a bit of door seal on paint noise. Ever so faint. In my Son's VE2 Redline wagon, it's much more pronounced. When I notice this, I do a bit of backyard maintenance and apply lube to the rubbers. Anything from silicon spray, Innox lanolin spray, to KY Gel will work. I prefer Innox.
Noise? No noise here Chopper! Hear no noise.
As far as the noise the OP describes, and maybe some of the other contributors, I haven't heard it. There could be a number of different noises in this group. Thankfully, I've heard none of them. But, good luck. Nothing worse than a problem, no one seems to be able to pinpoint and resolve. That reminds me, I need to make a Dr's appointment...I'm a bit of a hypochondriac.;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So this is your basic rear suspension in the VF Commodore (random interweb pic).
R27.jpg

The rear suspension assembly is mounted on it's own subframe which is then mounted to the chassis. From the factory the subframe is mounted to the chassis with standard rubber voided bushes. In laymans terms it's a rubber bush with holes in it to allow movement to improve comfort and reduce NVH.....

I would suggest Holden recommends re-torquing of these types of bushes/fasteners would be due to the fact that these types of bushes would settle over time.

As suggested already, try lubricating these bushes and see if the noise goes away. If it does, mention it to your dealer on the next service and or consider replacing the bushes with an aftermarket bush which may get rid of the noise but introduce a little more NVH into the chassis.

BTW, does the noise go away if it has been raining? if it does it also indicates it's probably a bush issue because the water acts like a lubricant :)

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
I certainly wouldn't describe the build quality as poor, Duaned.
I've only owned one VF to date. I've driven in excess of a dozen from 2 fleets though. Really the only issue i have had was a sharp edge on the dipstick. Any other issues were caused by my dealer. Ok, now clearly you can pay a lot more for a comparable car, say an Audi, or BMW with a somewhat better fit and finish. Enough to justify the price? That's subjective. But, name me one Aus built car, with better overall design, fit and finish? In fact, relatively speaking, name me one in this category, comparable in size, funtionality, performance and price, with a better "overall quality" from anywhere? Seriously, I'm interested to know.
Regarding the OP and others noise issues, my driveway angle and silly rounded gutter design is such that, if I don't get the entry just right, my car will get stuck momentarilly mid air. The right front wheel and left rear are completely off the ground. The car rocks backwards and forwards diagonally until: I either apply some more accelerator, whereby the LSD pushes the car forward (not preferred); or reverse, adjust my angle and approach speed and in an ungainly sort of way, breach the kerb. Do I hear any unusual noises? No. Not in mine, nor either of my work VF SV6's. I do sometimes hear a bit of door seal on paint noise. Ever so faint. In my Son's VE2 Redline wagon, it's much more pronounced. When I notice this, I do a bit of backyard maintenance and apply lube to the rubbers. Anything from silicon spray, Innox lanolin spray, to KY Gel will work. I prefer Innox.
Noise? No noise here Chopper! Hear no noise.
As far as the noise the OP describes, and maybe some of the other contributors, I haven't heard it. There could be a number of different noises in this group. Thankfully, I've heard none of them. But, good luck. Nothing worse than a problem, no one seems to be able to pinpoint and resolve. That reminds me, I need to make a Dr's appointment...I'm a bit of a hypochondriac.;)
Don't expect anything other than negative comment from duaned mate, vfs are built so poorly he's had 3 of them
And the oxymoron award goes to.......