Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering lock jammed on!!!!!

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by vxchick, May 19, 2008.

1. vxchick

vxchick New Member

Can someone tell me how to the get the steering lock off on my vx wagon. It is on full lock and i cant turn the key.:bang::cry::bow:

2. nicko

nicko Carbon Positive - DO IT!!

Members Ride:
    75 cruiser ute
    you may have tried this but, wiggle the streering wheel from side to side while trying to turn the key.

3. Tom_1569

Tom_1569 Ecotech Power

Members Ride:
    '14 SR5 Pusslux
    As Nicko says, even though its locked, you can move the wheel a little bit each way. Move it one one and wiggle it, its like taking the pressure off the lock, then turn the key. The VT's VX's seem to really bad for this.

4. vxchick

vxchick New Member

Tried this for about an hour but wont budge seems to be really on full lock and wont budge. Is there a manual way i could get it to unlock?

5. nicko

Members Ride:
    75 cruiser ute
    try jacking the front of the car up to take the weight off the wheel. How much play is in the wheel when its locked on. its should have about 5-10mm of play, if its anything less take the weight off the front wheels and try

6. vxchick

vxchick New Member

thanks nicko ill try it cause i have no play in the wheels at all at the moment

7. nicko

Members Ride:
    75 cruiser ute
    yeh that might be it then. if mine is lock on and i dont wiggle it (or cant) then it wont unlock, but it just needs that few mm of play to get it to unlock.

goodluck with it though, that would have to be one of the most annoying things to happen. so simple but still causes dramas

8. Tom_1569

Tom_1569 Ecotech Power

Members Ride:
    '14 SR5 Pusslux
    Can you wiggle it at all? sometimes the require a fair bit pf pressure, so try both hands trying to wiggle it either way. If you can wiggle it, then id say its really jammed or you have really flat tyres, i noticed when we had a flat it was so hard to get the lock off.

[EDIT] Nicko has the faster fingers lol, follow his advice if it isnt moving, [/EDIT]

9. vxchick

vxchick New Member

thanks tom just waiting for brothers other jack to try to jack it up, i cant wiggle the wheel at all it sems to be really stuck!!!!!!!!!!!but no flat tyres though.

10. adam69

adam69 Banned

Members Ride:
    VT Clubby
    Turn the wheel in the same direction as the lock as hard as you can then try.It wont work if you are trying to go the other way.

11. vxchick

vxchick New Member

It wasnt the steering lock that was the problem in the end it was that the barrel was jammed in the iginition and that was causing the sterring lock to come on. So i got outta this one by replacing the barrel and key and putting my key head on the new key. Done the job shes back on the road and purring thanks for the info fellas.

12. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Prado
    You could have keyed the new barrel to suit the old key, no need to swap key heads, but whatever worked.

13. s_ikari2015

s_ikari2015 Fun IS easier with an 8

Members Ride:
    '02 Monaro V2 CV8, '83 Subaru Sherpa, '92 Pug 205
    so you changed the key to suit the new barrel... but what about the door when your remote stops working? It WILL stop working.. oh yes, it will. then you'll be locked out of your car... unless you keep the old key on your keyring too ;)

14. Ratten

Ratten New Member

Members Ride:
    VT olympic
    yer watch out the vn through to vx's have been poorly built im a locksmith and we got so many of them in at work its not funny if the housing breaks then the steering wheel lock could be locked on and this can also happen whilst driving

15. takeko

takeko New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VY 2002 V6 Sedan
    how do i remove my steering lock?? I have a holden vy 2002 i got the stupid key broke off in theignition it was all fine mooving and than i locked the steering...ehhh please i need to remove this so ican atleast get it somewhere to get the barrel done i haveno flat tyres my cars doing well just steering locked now ...any one anyhelp greatly appreciated..

16. KA30TC

KA30TC New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS 6SPD 5.7L
    mate easiest way for you is to slide a bit of small spring steel grinded to a point with a slight hook and try to rake the broken key out and get a new blade cut (suggested) , failing that tap the shear off bolt with a centre punch and hammer n remove the whole steering lock and take it too a locksmith saves callin one out and or a tow truck.

17. KA30TC

KA30TC New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS 6SPD 5.7L
    (only if you cant get it turned) if you can get the barrel around to reds with wrigglin the steering wheel and the key pop an allen key into a hole half way down the barrel and slide it out 2nd option before tappin your shear off bolt cause its a bastard last option is its only diecast snap it buy a new one (keep in mind not cheap)

18. tyrefryer

tyrefryer New Member

Members Ride:
    Commodores!
    If all else fails, drop the fuse cover and steering column covers and remove the whole steering column, makes it easier to work on.
    Or you could go to the wreckers and pick up a barrel, key and door lock (and possibly a steering column to save swapping the barrels) because theres a good chance the barrel will damage while trying to get that key out

19. KA30TC

KA30TC New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS 6SPD 5.7L
    there is no way to damage the barrel trying to get a snapped key out so long as you dont bend the wafers so care not force locksmiths wouldnt have key extraction tools and picks if they did damage