Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock 304, Guide to choosing a camshaft

caprice s3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs caprice s3
QUOTE "The 276 will make more torque than the stock cam and a little more top end, if you are going to want a cam with a daily driver that wont see high rpm you can do better and if you want a crazy sound and overall acceleration you can also do better so it's kinda a middle man cam, nothing too exciting I guess but a safe bet you are looking at 2 tenths slower than the 4503/4502 on this one."

does this mean that the crane 276 will do wot u have written here or u can get a better 1 than this?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
can anyone tell me if the crane blue racer cam part no 976812 is a better choice than the crane 286?

the 286 will need a rise in comp and a decent intake manifold. the 286 will want to spin to 6000rpm+ the stock banana manifold will choke it

Boost Junky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stephens 19V, VY S L67, Monaro cv6, VE Omega
excellent thread, should be a STICKY

again, STICKY

cheers

ps, STICKY

HAZZA-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLACK VY SS :)
So what size cam would you recommend for a 5litre In a VN calais and how much are they worth?, thats being built for a burnout car, So low speed circle work running for no longer than 3/5 minutes at a time sitting at peak for around 2 minutes or so tops.

Rebuilt Trans with manual Valve body

Pacemaker Pro comp extractors, into a custom twin 2, 3/4 system crossed over just after the trans with a resignator on each pipe both dumped either side Infront of the back wheels

Diff is getting a Spool with 4.11 diff gears,

Engine has done 260,000km from what i gather although it may have been swapped at some stage but I have no idea.

Air intake I'm doing is a Pod filter blocked of from the engine bay, then cutting a hole in the engine bay under were the air filter normaly is and running a pipe down infront of the wheel and coming out in the front bumper so its sucking air from out side directly

Looking forward to ya help, If theres anymore info you need ask away.

UINLUV

Minga
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt clubsport 5.0
Hey mate love learning stuff on Here great help just wondering wat kinda cam you think would go great in my car I'm not really into the strip more just for cruising maybe a little drag off the lights. Well I have a vt clubby it has Starr 90m manifold (bannana) 2 1/2 twin exhaust hi flow cats, hsv extractors, and 3.9 gears in diff. Any help would b great cheers.

SLE 500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Green foam, amazing thread.

Could you please inform us less knowledgable people of how the different cam specs ie: lobe height, seperation, duration etc, affect/work with different car mods eg:
Exhaust, intake, fuel, compression, diff gears, porting, timing etc.

As every performance mod makes power differenty each mod would require a different cam spec to suit. Even if theres a rule of thumb any knowledge of the camshaft would be great.

In advance cheers.

97VSS2

CRABWALKIN CALAIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais 5L
hey foam, how do ya think a crow 4892 would go in my fairly stock vn, it has CAI, 2.5 cat back, stock auto, stock diff for know, i will be getting some comp pacemakers, shift kit and a stallie, 3.7 gears.....

thanks heaps mate....

uncle scooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III UTE
Is the Crow 4502 or the Wade 963A961A10 avalible for the VS111/VT roller cam engine?? if not what would you suggest for it??

Boost Junky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stephens 19V, VY S L67, Monaro cv6, VE Omega
this thread is massively informative

so why hasn't it been made a sticky already?