Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub randomly cuts out then returns?

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
yeah ive been trying to track down a spare amp off someone. alot of my mates need there amps for obvious reasons. theyre all heavy hitters in the noise department haha.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
This happened to me just because wasn't earthed properly. Didn't go into protection mode or anything and it looked perfectly earthed. Was not. haha

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
The two wires that go from the speaker terminals and disappear inside the sub to the voice coil.... when you look at them.. you will understabd the name.

Next time it happens yiu can try pushing on the cone of sub (use your whole palm) and see if it kicks in again. If it does... tinsel leads, if it doesnt, may still be tinsel leads.

Usually not worth repair but depends on the sub. I had a 10" years ago that I think I resoldered about 5 or 6 times. Just kept overpowering it day in and day out.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
figured it out! hahaha. ran my sub off my mates amp with the huge mess of speaker wire in my shed. sub cranks pretty hard off his amp so im now assuming mines blown. not good for a 3 month old amp haha. gotta do some hunting for this receipt now for warranty.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
yeah i can do it tomorrow. i still cant see anything through the back of it to show its blown though. might try moving the ground point or sanding into the metal a bit on saturday so its pretty decent see if that helps.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
yeah i can do it tomorrow. i still cant see anything through the back of it to show its blown though. might try moving the ground point or sanding into the metal a bit on saturday so its pretty decent see if that helps.

does the amp turn on? play music and use a multi meter on the sub outputs and test AC voltage and see if it puts out anything.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
figured it out! hahaha. ran my sub off my mates amp with the huge mess of speaker wire in my shed. sub cranks pretty hard off his amp so im now assuming mines blown. not good for a 3 month old amp haha. gotta do some hunting for this receipt now for warranty.

You've taken them out of a harsh enviroment filled with vibration, bumps and knocks and put them into a safe cushy shed. Sorry mate, it's a little inconclusive. But you may be right in saying its the amp. Just don't think it's conclusive.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
does the amp turn on? play music and use a multi meter on the sub outputs and test AC voltage and see if it puts out anything.

yeah hadnt thought to run a multi meter off the out puts yet. ill do that tomorrow aswell. but yeah turns on fine but doesnt show any signs of protection mode or anything.