Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub randomly cuts out then returns?

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
yeah hadnt thought to run a multi meter off the out puts yet. ill do that tomorrow aswell. but yeah turns on fine but doesnt show any signs of protection mode or anything.

If you have an O-Scope or know anyone with one, you could actually see the signal it is putting out too.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
You've taken them out of a harsh enviroment filled with vibration, bumps and knocks and put them into a safe cushy shed. Sorry mate, it's a little inconclusive. But you may be right in saying its the amp. Just don't think it's conclusive.

nah i agree dude. just heading in that direction at this point. i have to go to autobarn tomorrow any way so i was gonna see if the audio installer had any sortve inputs while i was there.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
any one got some good factory ground spots for a vy ute? ill smack my ground on to one of them first and see if that helps.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
One you make yourself mate.

Sand back some bare metal, use several self drilling screws to lock into place and away you go.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
yeah well thats what its grounded as now. was just wondering if anyone knew of some factory ones but see if it makes a difference.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
moved my ground and i was getting about 10 seconds of sound from my sub when i turn my car on but its stopped again now.
multimeter reads nothing at all unless i can quickly catch it during the first few seconds when my sub randomly works. but im not quite fast enough to do that haha.
was going to open my sub and check those tinsel leads in it but i ran out of time. hopefully i get the chance on monday.
anything else you guys reckon i should check?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Check where power and earth cables connect to amp. Check amp wire to battery clamp connection, and what gauge wire are you using? Also check connections into and out of your fuse/circuit breaker.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
yeah checked the connections and swapped the inline fuse again. im pretty sure its 4 gauge for power and ground.
my sub ran all the way home tonight but my stereo was down quite low because i had a killer head ache haha. if i turn it up it cuts out after a few seconds regardless of whether im going fast or slow then doesnt come back. but it wasnt going at all yesterday. it cant make its mind up.
so im thinking maybe somethings causing my amp to not get enough power? all though for 3 month its been fine so i thought that would have shown up months ago?

jay87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
Mine does the same thing. Running a p3 600wrms Rockford sub with a 600wrms alpine amp. Except I know what my problem is. Because of the distance between battery and amp I should be running 2 or 0 gauge from battery to boot to a capacitor and a 4 gauge power and ground to amp off the capacitor. My cable gets hot and has already popped three inline fuses and melted 2 fuse holders because of the excessive power draw. That's with it turned down to a suitable bass level. Could still get more if I upgrade wiring.

mitchone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 s pack ute
yeah but mines from the battery to behind the driver seat. probably not half the distance haha.