Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Subwoofer to suit current amp

-ToM-

Bow Down to the Emperor!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec [EMPIR3]
Currently in my car i have.

Soundstream Lil Wonder III LW2.260
RMS Power @ 4? Bridged, 14.4V 1 x 260w RMS

and a Pioneer TS-W305C 12" sub.

Now apparently its rated at 800w peak / 400w nominal (not sure if thats RMS) Single voice coil that was made way back in 2004/2005.

I put my brothers 2008 1200w/350w DVC JVC sub in, and it packed a lot better punch.

I couldnt work out why, but all i know is that the pioneer has to go!

Now, im after a good value sub to replace the pioneer, preferable around 200-250w RMS, but will pack a better punch then the pioneer.

Any ideas/suggestions?

SPLcamry

1000rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX
Well if that is the amp you have then you carn't go past 2 12" kicker comps, they are 150rms each so that would be 300rms.

But i know for a fact that Soundstream under rates there amp so the amp you got will easily push 300rms. The kicker's are great vaule for bass. I also have 2 of those JVC subs. Even if you buy his of him. But i would reconmend kicker due to it being bass for buck.

But what ever you do don't buy sony,clarion,fusion,kenwood. as they make really crap subs. I know i am going to get flammed about this but it's true so deal with it.

-ToM-

Bow Down to the Emperor!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec [EMPIR3]
Hey thanks for the reply.

Im not sure if its true about soundstream underrating, but it says 260w bridged, or 2x130w in 2 channel.

Id prefer to go a good single 12" over the 2 less power subs, mainly due to my boot setup which is designed for a bit of show, and some space saving.

Im after something i can swap out with the current sub straight into the existing box.

pics:

sl370174gn3.jpg

sl370175jf8.jpg

Those pics are with the old amp, not the new one

SPLcamry

1000rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX
What i mean by soundstream underating there amps, Is that when they say 260rms on the box it really means the amp has 300rms. So that's a good thing.

Well then if you want a good single sub then you carn't go past a alpine 12" type S.

But don't expect to much from a crappy pre fab sub box. If you really want to go loud then build a custom 2 cuft ported sub box. If you need a plan pm me and il send you one.

-ToM-

Bow Down to the Emperor!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec [EMPIR3]
ill have a look at that sub, thanks mate

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You're underpowering the Pioneer, that's why it's quieter. You could build a better box for the sub (ported) or just find a more efficient subwoofer. I don't think the Alpine Type S is going to be louder than the Pioneer.

SPLcamry

1000rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX
Well i would still say run 2 12" kicker comps. It doesn't matter if they are cheap. Beacuse more cone area means, that the system will get really loud. Also the alpine would be louder than the Pioneer because the carbon range of pioneer had cooling diffculties so they loose about 100rms so the sub will be 100rms less then what they pioneer box states.

One of my mates ran a 400rms pioneer off a 400rms pioneer amp and he went out the next week and bought a type S and by far was it louder and clearer. But the JBL would be ok. But you would need to build a custom ported enclosure.

So think if you want a loud sub that sounds like crap or a loud sub that sound clean. If i was going tp buy my first system i would buy 2 12" type S cause they offer great bang for buck with there SPL and SQ scores.

Also if you don't like the Alpine type S well the JL subs are second best. But if you really wanna spend some dough look at DD,RE,cactus sounds,FI,DC,kicker solo X,treo,SPL dynamics and many more. So chose carfully as if you want to be heard on the sreets you would need a good set up.

also i got 132.5db of a set of 6x9's so any speaker will get loud of any power. you just need to have the right box to get the highest Db out of your sub.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep im with StoneX, youre not getting the full potential from that Pioneer, which by the way isnt a bad sub at all....im sure with 500wrms+ it'll go much harder.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
...Also the alpine would be louder than the Pioneer because the carbon range of pioneer had cooling diffculties so they loose about 100rms so the sub will be 100rms less then what they pioneer box states...
Who tells you this rubbish information? :bang: