Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Summernats Pics/my Review

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Hi all, I ahev email Darren about getting some of my Summernats pics posted on this site. Over the weekend i took 580 pics. I am going to post a CD with the pics on it to Darren so he can decide whats good and whats not. So hopefully we shall all see my skillz (yea right!) behind the lens soon.
Now, a short reveiw... I went out on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Friday: Just walked around with a heap of mates seeing the sights and had some fun. Not as many people as i thought their would have been. Got a bit burnt. Plenty of fine females! Saw many sweet machines and lots of burnouts. They changed the Go-Whoa and burnout eliminations this year... for the worse. They put them on at night. Some of the stories i heard from my parents (who work as officials in the burnout track area) were unbeleivable. They had to cut the burnouts off by 9pm cos of polution laws and there was still over 50 people in line. Dad said that it was almost a riot when guys were told they were not going to get a run. All was sorted and they got their run on sunday.

Saturday: I walked around by myself with the camera. I took photos of everything and anything. I got 269 pics in about 5 hours. I mainly looked in the top 60 pavilion and walked the streets to watch the cars cruise. I left at around 5... well before the adult show started. I have never seen so many people at Summernats in all my life. This was my 9th year there and its never been that crowded.

Sunday: Went out early with just 1 mate and got a good seat in the dynocell. We saw a guy with a N/A small block make 730-odd RWHP. That was truly amazing! We then saw Brett Waine and his VH make around 1350 RWHP. I was surprised that there was noRob Vickery there this year. Eddie Tassone had a poor effort (by his standards) in qualifying, only making around 1000 Hp. I kept saying that he was holding the car back and was going to do something amazing in the finals. That didnt happen as his 3 runs were about 1140, 1080 and 1050. Maybe he was having problems with the car. Another highlight was when Pauly and Habib from Fat Pizza came out! they got on the mike and started up with their typical wog comedy. It was a laugh and a half! After 5 hours of sitting in the dynocell we went for a wander and i took heaps more pics. By the time the day was out i had 311 pics on the camera and could have taken another 400 if it wasnt for the batteries. I got my pic taken with some of the fiiiiine promo girls! Mmmmm that was good hehe. The sound-off was happening so we checked that out. I must say that cadence audion know how to build a promo car! their ambulence was something that had to be seen to be beleived!!! Next was outside again watching all the crazy pissheads getting all the drivers to do burnouts on the streets. That was good fun and i got some nice pics too. The burnout track was next and last on the to-do list. Brett Stevens was out in the JD dragcar doing his usual burnout/doughnut demos. More nice pics were taken here. Sunday wasnt as packed as the other 2 days but i still had a great time.
I cant wait till the next one, Roll on Summernats 18!!!

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
Sounds like a good one!
Can't wait for tha pics
I hope i can get down there myself next year!

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I agree, sounds awesome.

Thanks for the good run down and I hope we get to have a squizz at your photographic master pieces Missed Summernats on the news last night so this made up for it. I too hope to get down there next year in a 'respectable' ride

Bloody legend and again thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Jake

BTW

QUOTE Some of the stories i heard from my parents (who work as officials in the burnout track area) were unbeleivable

You have champion parents Mine would not be anywhere near a burnout pad.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V8 Berlina Wagon A4
I wish they made the Easter Nats here in VIC as big as those in ACT. It's hard to get up to the Nats when it's that close to Christmas and new year. Would be good if it was like in late Jan or Feb sometime.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
QUOTE (VXWAGMAN @ Jan 14 2004, 12:14 PM) I wish they made the Easter Nats here in VIC as big as those in ACT.
you havernt read todays paper then have ya . If the Summer Nats are as they have been mentioning on Street Commodores forum, then why would you bother going, with all the dickheads and the hassles of group defects etc.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
QUOTE (Locksmiff @ Jan 14 2004, 02:01 PM) QUOTE (VXWAGMAN @ Jan 14 2004, 12:14 PM) I wish they made the Easter Nats here in VIC as big as those in ACT.
you havernt read todays paper then have ya . If the Summer Nats are as they have been mentioning on Street Commodores forum, then why would you bother going, with all the dickheads and the hassles of group defects etc.
YEah i guess but there's so many genuine Hotrod and especially Commodore enthusiasts down here that making it big would be better for us all. You know us melbourne people.. We like to steal other states sporting events..

Most people who go to ACT for the Nats are from out of town anyway

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
yeah the attitude of the ACT police is a joke! i went for a drive through braddon (for those who dont know, its part of the cruise route through the city) and the cops were pulling over any car that look like it was hotted up. i also heard they set up (as they do every year) on the highway just as you cross the border and they pick on every car that looks like it is heading to summernats.
like i said, it is a joke. i never saw 1 RBT set up all weekend yet i heard they conducted some 6000 tests. of that they only got around 20 drivers. thats a poor average if you ask me.
if the cops are going to do something why dont they try and get rid of all the **** heads who start ****-fights over nothing inside epic? maybe because they know that they would be drasticlly outnumbered. i heard of a fight where 20 guys bash 3. now if you ask me, that is the sort of **** the cops should try to stop. not pick on people who want to go to a car show and show their car. its bull ****.

VXWAGMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I read about the residents of Canberra not liking the Summernats abnd all the hoons that it brings into town but to be honest it generates a lot of revenue for the joint. Just like the Touring cars do when they go up there. Just sorting out who's a ******** by the car they drive is pretty typical of the cops.