Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Fuel Economy

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
ive had 600km at just shy of 49litres

oh and my fuel guage is 20 litres out

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
Damn Kickr !!! that's pretty bad dude >.< Either you're thrashing it already (hehe) or something isn't quite right with your sensors.

Yeah Bullit, much the same thing with me on Sunday for the cruise I was on, average speed on the country roads of 110km/h+, I think my lowest got to about 10.2 at one stage for the day (Brand Highway heh). But other than that was pretty consistent.

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yeah it sucks, i'll see how much i put in tomorow when i fill up then ill get back to you guys, if i have actually used that much fuel then im in a bit of trouble and i'll have to get it fixed...given i have thrashed it a little bit, i think 350k's for the red zone is pretty poor.

Ill see what gives, and i might have to get stuff fixed:(

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Here's something interesting, 50km into my trip where I was 25km from Port Augusta I had two huge road trains in front of me travelling together. I dropped my speed to 100km/h, same as the road trains and waited for an overtaking opportunity. Unfortunately, it didn't come because there was so much traffic.

As a result my fuel consumption dropped down to 8.4L/100km just by shaving 10km off my speed.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
That might have also been a slipstream thing too thinking about it. Because trucks cause a larger slipstream than an normal car and provided the effects are great enough it therefore requires less effort from your cars engine to maintain the speed you were travelling at = less RPM's = less consumption.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
apparently its been tested, if you sit on 100 instead of 110 its uses less fuel because you have less resistance on your car. it was on tv a while back. But i'll agree with there may have been a slipstream to.

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah...they tested it on mythbusters, i think there was a thread about it around here somewhere, and it was confirmed.

they also tried it with riding a bike behind a truck, and they said it was much easier plus they rode the same distance a little faster!

anyway im off to teh petrol station soon and seeing how much petrol iv'e used in 350 k's...i'm not feeling to confident about it

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ok i just filled up...It cost me $86 because i forgot my staff discount card (idiot) and i filled up 56.47 litres and i travelled about 380km.

So thats a consumption of about 14.9l/100km

On premium i think thats pretty bad, do think maybe it'll improve because i suppose the car has been in a warehouse for some time..
I'll see how things go...but i think it is safe to say that the gauge is a little off, as is the computer (it was bang on for litres/100k's but for distance to go it wasn't-said i had 60km's left but with 15-20 litres left youd think around 100).

So lets say off a full tank of fuel i'd probably get between 450-500k's..

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
One way to find out for sure is to fill up a jerrycan with fuel, stick it in the car, and then just drive the car as far as she'll go...

Haven't been game enough to try it. But it'd settle it!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
your wasting fuel doing that, cause it will fill the charcoal canister and just pump raw fuel back through your intake

Poorly informed advice...
It WILL NOT fill the charcoal cannister if you drive 15 - 20 km. It will therefore not pump raw fuel back through the intake.