Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swap to long range fuel tank

qikvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr calais 5.0 litre
Was a v6, got a long range v8 tank for it. How do I connect the old 3 pin plug to the 4 pin one on bigger tank? And what do I do with the extra white plug that is on my v6? Cheers

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
What generation of Commodore do you own? I assume it's a VR given your username and "members ride" section, but you should make a new thread in the VR/VS section to get some answers...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Use your old pump/sender assembly
You can’t if you want to use the full capacity of the tank. The pickup will be higher on the old sender than it is on the proper sender for the long range tank.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You can’t if you want to use the full capacity of the tank. The pickup will be higher on the old sender than it is on the proper sender for the long range tank.
Doesn’t seem to be the case. The location of the pickup is different (larger tank has the sender/pump/pickup assembly sitting lower).

I know this because I recently put a vs 63L sender/pump etc into a VR long range tank to refit to vs.

Reactions: Lex

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Doesn’t seem to be the case. The location of the pickup is different (larger tank has the sender/pump/pickup assembly sitting lower).

I know this because I recently put a vs 63L sender/pump etc into a VR long range tank to refit to vs.
You can use the standard sender unit but you won’t be able to use the full capacity of the fuel tank. Ask me how I know.

Used to have a VN with an 85 litre tank and the previous owner used the standard sender in it. I could only use the standard fuel tank capacity in it and ran it “out of fuel“ to test the theory.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You can use the standard sender unit but you won’t be able to use the full capacity of the fuel tank. Ask me how I know.

Used to have a VN with an 85 litre tank and the previous owner used the standard sender in it. I could only use the standard fuel tank capacity in it and ran it “out of fuel“ to test the theory.
Nope - the unit is the same with the exception of the float rod (longer on the long range tank to account for increased upward travel).

If you use the complete sender unit from a 63L tank in a 75L tank, it’ll just read full for a while until the fuel drops below the full level of a standard tank. No issue there. If somebody were inclined - they could make their own rod (for vs) or lengthen the original (for vr).

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
VR long range on the right, VS standard on the left:
56353BE8-DCD5-4852-9CEE-C5766C6BB1D9.jpeg

Ontop of one another - geometry is identical.

65ABE57E-B8DB-4093-A890-80F51D356D8E.jpeg

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope - the unit is the same with the exception of the float rod (longer on the long range tank to account for increased upward travel).

If you use the complete sender unit from a 63L tank in a 75L tank, it’ll just read full for a while until the fuel drops below the full level of a standard tank. No issue there. If somebody were inclined - they could make their own rod (for vs) or lengthen the original (for vr).
Interesting. So the extra capacity in the tank is from width or length rather than depth on VR/VS? The extra capacity on the 85 litre tank for the VN was from depth so the sender pickup wouldn’t reach the bottom of the tank.

The tank in my old VN was only there to look good as the extra tank capacity was unusable.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Interesting. So the extra capacity in the tank is from width or length rather than depth on VR/VS? The extra capacity on the 85 litre tank for the VN was from depth so the sender pickup wouldn’t reach the bottom of the tank.

The tank in my old VN was only there to look good as the extra tank capacity was unusable.
Depth - the sender/pump is mounted lower in the larger tanks.