Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The "Ask a plasterer" thread.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
so I was going to be smart and ask you to come fix a hole in the wall ;)

but then this came to me.

you know how you can see the plaster joins in walls and ceilings, and after a while they show a line or a crack, or a very noticeable.
is there any way to prevent that in the first place?
if not what is the best way to repair it, preferably so it doesn't happen again?

oh and why do you guys chuck sparkies cables anywhere after they have been set up nicely.
or plaster sheet the sides of the wall that said sparkies don't need to get cables out of first :thumbsup:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Question, how do you guys do such **** work making life hard for us painters :p

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Wow , This threads off to a good start :spot on: . My son is a sparky and he said the same as Drawnnite

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Wow , This threads off to a good start :spot on: . My son is a sparky and he said the same as Drawnnite

Funny that , my nephew says the same thing , he's a electrician as well

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
I have a 70's house that has had water through the ceiling at some stage, the affected area is about 500mm x 500mm and the plaster I guess has separated from the supporting thread looking stuff that should be inside and not visible, should I fill it with filler or cut it out and replace the section and if I get someone to replace the ceiling section (or the entire rooms ceiling) what sort of price am I looking at?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
so I was going to be smart and ask you to come fix a hole in the wall ;)

but then this came to me.

you know how you can see the plaster joins in walls and ceilings, and after a while they show a line or a crack, or a very noticeable.
is there any way to prevent that in the first place?
if not what is the best way to repair it, preferably so it doesn't happen again?

oh and why do you guys chuck sparkies cables anywhere after they have been set up nicely.
or plaster sheet the sides of the wall that said sparkies don't need to get cables out of first :thumbsup:

Depends on how old the house is , most modern houses wont crack for 10-15 years if they are properly back blocked and such .

And its cos most of the time they will pull there cables out right in the middle of a join where we have to run the boxes over to fill the joins lol.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I have a 70's house that has had water through the ceiling at some stage, the affected area is about 500mm x 500mm and the plaster I guess has separated from the supporting thread looking stuff that should be inside and not visible, should I fill it with filler or cut it out and replace the section and if I get someone to replace the ceiling section (or the entire rooms ceiling) what sort of price am I looking at?

would probly be better to cut it out and replace with new sheet , and re trowel for piece of mind, and roughly 2 hours work . so around $100-200

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
would probly be better to cut it out and replace with new sheet , and re trowel for piece of mind, and roughly 2 hours work . so around $100-200

So that would be $600 in Perth money.