Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Beer Thread.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Straya!, Mar 26, 2013.

1. someguy360

someguy360 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Caprice V8 - VR Statesman V8 - Audi 90 Quattro
    Just discovered John Boston Golden Ale, very well priced and a very nice drop.

I am an Ale man and for $45 for a carton I really can't walk past it.

2. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    [​IMG]

3. Ed

Ed New Member

Members Ride:
    TDV8 Landcruiser
    Try sailor jerry, as good if not better, but pricier for a straight bottle...

As for beer don't mind a 150 lashes or stonewood every now and again

4. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Drinking a Belgian lambic style "Oude Geuze"

[​IMG]

Like a dry, sour, musty cider. Belgian Wit fermented in the presence of sour cherries, secondary bottle ferment to give a bead like champagne. Creamy, lively, bubbly hence "Geuze" or geyser fountain.

Cheers!

5. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Rich dark triple - deeper than Tremens (Belgian)
    [​IMG]

6. Skydrol

Skydrol Active Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    How much you guys pay for a case of beer? Here in the US cases are sold on 24 bottle count of 11.2 to 12 oz bottles. There are some exceptions when the bottles might carry more or less products, but the standard is 24 bottles/cans of 11.2 to 12 oz.

A case of regular Butt-Wiper/Miller/Coors depends of the specials at about $15~$20 USD a premium beer might run about $35 USD.

The other days bought a beer called Grolsch ($8 for a 15oz 4 pack); the beer taste, in my opinion if not that great but there is one thing that I want; the bottles.

[​IMG]

The advantage is that can be reused over and over again. Since I started brewing at home I can reuse the bottles. The rubber grommet can be bought really cheap. Just bottled my 1st batch with Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale; will see how that goes.

[​IMG]

7. gossie

gossie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    Beer in OZ was about the same price in U.S. in the '90s. I think it's about the same now, but our dollar is now worth under 80c to your dollar.

I lived in NC a couple of times in the 1990s, and have visited several times, and as you call it, BUD that I don't mind, Millers, Coors here now are about 40 per slab as we call it......24 stubbies in a slab.
    Coors I just can't take to........It's only just started to be sold here.......Coca Cola bring it in.........Coors is a huge brewery though, so I guess someone must love it.

Premium is over 40 and up to 50 or so mostly.

8. Skydrol

Skydrol Active Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    I cannot stand the Bud and not to be confused the the original Budweiser from Czechoslovakia; has this funky after taste and is bland as heck. Coors for some weird reason, to me, has this taste like you were eating Daisies (most of the taste comes from smell). Miller, the only one that I can drink is what we call MGD (Miller Genuine Draft) and maybe, if I am in dire straights for a beer, Miller Light that is easy to obtain at any fuel station.

The only decent domestic beer is Samuel Adams; good enough to remove the taste of hooker spit and weed off your mouth (is a Family Guy joke).

By the way, the movie Smokey and the Bandit was based on Bootlegging. Instead of running moonshine across the state lines they ran Coors Beer from Texas to Georgia because of some law, back then, Coors cannot be sold passed the Mississippi.

On my state, they have some weird alchohol laws. There are a lot of Bible Thumpers so in some ways is like living with Puritans and Quakers burning witches at the stake. They have this law about beer on fuel station that has to be 3.2% or less to be sold cold; if is over than that, has to be sold at ambient temp. Go figure that one; go buy any ice cold beer for 3.2% and throw a shot of Vodka to boost the % without chaging the taste much.

9. gossie

gossie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    Have you ever tried FAT TIRE?
    Have only had it on west coast U.S.A, and to my taste it's magnificent. From memory it's made in Colorado????? Have never seen it here, mores the pity.

10. Skydrol

Skydrol Active Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    I was told by a co-worker about Flat Tire and he swears by it as good drop. Sadly, have not seen it on our local liquor store; might have to do some digging. Hey.... I am game if I can find it; what can I say, I am a flavor junky ;)

11. aaronpaul

aaronpaul aaronpaul

Members Ride:
    VL Calais Turb
    My favorite is Lapin Kulta because it was once done in Lapland. Doesn't actually taste any better than other beers but it my mind it does!

12. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    OK beer lovers... What's wrong with this case of beer?

[​IMG]

13. monkey

monkey Donating Member

Laoshan mountain? Aussie beer i think not.

14. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Take another look there's more LOLs to be had...

15. monkey

monkey Donating Member

Its supposed to be gairdner barley. And is that 100% owned a prediction or a goal or what?

Where the hell did you find that junk?

16. PIR4TE

PIR4TE Banned

Members Ride:
    Black Pearl
    Haha yep, and what about "light on the pallet"! Should be "palate" OFC but seeing fake "100% PWNed" Aussie beer (made with real Chinese water) floor stacked, it would surprise me if some deliveries came in a bit light on the pallet either!
    Our labelling laws for food and booze are a fricken joke, thing is most Aussie punters just lap it up along with their Chinese meat pie filling and Heinz tomato sauce (check individual serves all from China) basically don't give a shit what it is, where it came from... it's all BEER maaate... full strength wet cold 'Aussie beer' for $35 a case!
    Do you think someone is taking the piss?!

17. Skydrol

Skydrol Active Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    If you take fresh made piss at right price, with good carbonation and the perfect temperature (ice cold); anybody will take the piss over anything else...

(yes is a pun playing with the words and definitions/meanings)

Made some ale from Mr Beer and Bewitched Amber Ale

Checked mine with a Hydrometer and came out about 6.5 I think the boost came from the conditioning sugar. Used 2 Cooper's Primer Drops on each 16 oz Groslch Flip Top Bottles and let it condition for another 2 weeks. On this brew Bottled Spring Water was used (usually use Distilled). The head was amazing, thick foamy (kind of creamy) and crisp body. 2 weeks in fermenter, 2 weeks conditioning and 1 day in the refigerator. Made 2.5 Gallons (about 9.5 L); great drop.

18. Skydrol

Skydrol Active Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Just made this brew...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is called Diablo IPA from Mr Beer.

[​IMG]

Used a 5 Gallon Igloo Water Cooler, Distilled Water and bottled in 16 oz Grolsch Swing Top bottles with 2 Cooper's condition drops.

You can stretch the batch to 3 Gallons when the formula calls for 2 and still a good beer.

These bottles are the best for bottling the brew and can be reused over and over (so far 4 brews and the rubber grommet still holding).

[​IMG]

No bombs but is a bit over-carbonated; need to open the bottle slowly and pour quick or you will get a mug full of creamy head.
    The glass on the picture is perfect for this beer.

The beer is on the bitter side and using my hydrometer I got about 6%ish alcohol; not a bad drop. However not my preffered one.

Took me 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks conditioning and 3 days in the fridge.

I got a few brewing (in the fermentor).

One is 5 Gallons of Pilsner, 3 Gallons of Lager Oktoberfest and 2.5 Gallons of Amercan Amber Ale.

Forgot to mention; I have Mr Beer Bewitch Amber Ale and that is the one we like the best.

Will take some pics of it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  19. QAR

QAR Banned

Members Ride:
    SS-V Wagon
    Skydrol what style IPA exactly? Have you ever made a Hoegärten or Little Creatures? Its winter here, crustacea an molluscs reaching peak flavour over the next couple of months, perfect for a fluffy belgian citrussy wit. Temps are ideal next week to brew some Hoeys!
    Little Creatures is our full malt triple hopped American IPA that took the retail market by storm about eight years ago, perfect drinking early Sydney winter so thats next mash tun.

20. Skydrol

Skydrol Active Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Where I am at is Spring but a crazy spring. Raining like a Mother.... I got some Hops seeds and 2 germinated (out of 20ish); my mum in law planted some and pretty much all came up. I think is the soil.

Anyway... Is some on the taste that I cannot place; just that is not my palate; love the bitterness. I am hops fool so that is fine with me. Will look for those "Hoegärten or Little Creatures"; too many beers is hard to drink them all or at least taste them all :D Will see if I can get them here in the USA.

Trying to learn how to brew but I am reverse engineering the process. Way too many virables but want to make sure my equipment and technique is solid before I start making my own stuff.

I am a sucker for seafood; some clams or oyster, a lime squeeze and I am there :D

Just got a box in the mail with Mexican Beer which is on the ligther side; good drop when is hot.

Their website can describe better than I can...
    Mr Beer Diablo IPA

Diablo IPA Craft Refill
    Flavor: Hoppy

ABV (alc/vol): 5% - 6.9%

SRM (Color): (7 - 13) Amber

IBU (Bitterness): (31 - 70) Noticable Bitterness

ABV -- An estimate of alcohol content given in percent of alcohol by volume. Your actual abv may vary.

SRM -- Color based on Standard Reference Method, where as:
    - Pale Beers are between 0 - 6
    - Amber Beers are between 7 - 13
    - Mahogany Beers are 14 - 20
    - Dark Beers are 21 -29
    - Black Beers are 30 and over
    (fruits may add additional color.)

IBU -- Bitterness shown in International Bittering Units, where:
    - Low bitterness 0 - 20
    - Moderate bitterness 21 - 30
    - Noticeable bitterness 31 - 70
    - Extreme bitterness 71+