Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Fitness Thread

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
im thinking about joining the local good life gym but im pretty.. nervous, you could say
do you guys look or judge other people there? or do others do it to you?
i just dont wanna be there all clueless and people laughing at the skinny kid lol

I was the same. I was pretty hesitant to go, thinking everyone would be staring at the fat guy.

But most people there are there for the same reason. I went joined up at a gym thats fairly small and just opened. Ill be honest, its more cardio orientated, but the weight gear is usually free which is good. I also found a 24 hour one, so I could go in late night/early morning and not look like an idiot in front of people.

Once you start going on the same days youll start to notice the same guys every week. I know the guys on Thursday real well, we all talk to each other, spot each other, motivate each other.

I know at Jetts as well, they do an introductory PT session where they go around and show you all the equipment - probably the same at other places.

Like I said though, everyone is there for the same reason. To improve themselves. Once you get in there and get 10 minutes into your workout youll forget your in public :p

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
ohk cheers guys ill speak to a few mates and see what gyms they go to, to get me motivated

Jonesy40

Reaction score
Members Ride
Voodoo VE SS UTE
hey Jonno, if you are not sure on what you are doing most places will do an introduction to guide you through the basic. and if you want more information a couple of sessions with a good pt will have you on your way.

also i normally find the biggest guys in the gym are normally the first ones to help out if you need and a spot or some direction.

as others have said once you start you wont even worry about everyone else around and what they are doing. chuck in your headphones, work through you program and enjoy.

cheers

Jonesy

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Jecs is right the regulars are more than happy to help the new guys.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
made a few calls and apparently everyone that lives in my area goes to goodlife so ill join up, $920.40 for 12 months is alright isnt it?

or 989.40 with 3 personal trainer sessions to start out with

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
So I havent really posted in about my progress.

Ive moved up to a 4 day a week schedule. Im still trying to find a good balance for the day I do 2 in a row. I dont do much leg stuff so this is probably a good excuse to do a full leg day or something.

Still havent done any weighing of myself but a lot of people have commented on how much ive lost and Im looking forward to catching up with Hozy and Hama because I havent really seen them since I started and they really got me into it.

Ive been trying to add 5 kilos a week to what im lifting which is going pretty well.

Im really starting to notice a lot of definition around the shoulders and upper chest as well as the forearms.

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
I'm always happy to help new comers and will let them know if technique could be improved to prevent injury

and I always take and ask for advice from other members about different lifting techniques for different training .

I have also informed a pt at a gym how to dead lift properly after I saw them demonstrating to a new member completely incorrect technique that could of injured both of them but I guess that's what happens when you jump on the net and get your pt ticket .

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
made a few calls and apparently everyone that lives in my area goes to goodlife so ill join up, $920.40 for 12 months is alright isnt it?

I go to Jett's under $500 for 12 months ...

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I go to Jett's under $500 for 12 months ...

Yeah Im at Jetts and its what...40 bucks a month or something? 24 hours a day.

To be fair though. Jetts arent the biggest gyms and they dont have a massive equipment array (more than enough for most people though). So really depends what your getting out of it.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

That is hell expensive. My last renewal was $499 for 15 months (12 + 3 special).

im thinking about joining the local good life gym but im pretty.. nervous, you could say
do you guys look or judge other people there? or do others do it to you?
i just dont wanna be there all clueless and people laughing at the skinny kid lol

As everyone has said above, people at the gym are there for a reason...increase size, reduce size, maintain size or get fit. I've been going to the gym for around 18 yrs now and can honestly say I have never noticed anyone "assessing" other members. I certainly don't...I don't care what someone looks like...to me the key is that they are there and working hard to achieve their own goals. Also seeing people physically change can be a motivator for yourself. The only real problem with other members is when it's busy and you can't access the equipment you want lol.

Yeah, it can be intimidating at first, but once you get into the routine and become a regular you will more than likey make new friends as part of the process.

Go for it...just be wary of the cost.