Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Your free time has not been wasted, looking good!

So will this cable connect to both GMLAN and HSCAN simultaneously? (Or even alternately?)

Switched on I see!
The cable has only been designed to communicate over one protocol at one time. I couldnt see a reason to why I would want to use two protocols at once for diagnostic purposes (Or even tuning purposes).

For the techies out here, the supported protocols are HSCAN, GMLAN, MSCAN, ALDL, VPW and... VPW x4. The last one there is only required for LS1 tuning purposes. Should help out the LS1 tuning boys as there will finally be an affordable cable on the market capable of tuning LS1 ECU's.

Wow lots of cool stuff.

Do you have a humble connector cord that can run my iPhone into the cars audio system. I can do it with the 3.5 mm jack but it doesn't charge the phone and I have no control over it.

Thanks.

Im assuming you have a series1 vehicle?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Its hard to judge size based on pictures. But to explain how small it is. the case is only about 4x4cm.

Case_Dimensions.PNG

And.. Im also hoping to be able to provide the new cable in a few different colours including red, blue, green, black, white.

DesignBlue1.PNG

The first few units are going to be 3D printed to ensure a perfect design is made. After that, a perfect moulding of the case will be made which is where we can start getting some custom colours involved :beer chug:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
i'll take a red one tazzi :p haha

The first ones that will come out will be white, as thats all the brand new (and very expensive) 3D printer comes with. Have to wait a few days for that to rock up now.

Only thing I think Ill need to tinker with is the micro USB slot. Might need to nudge that slightly closer. Once a final design is sorted.. off to the fabricator

The design has been completed, Just need to check that it all fits as expected before sending them off to be made in the other colours.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
haha guess ill buy a white one then :p

Ill spray paint yours red. :beer chug:

Ill see how they go. Theres going to be plenty of test units to play with as I modify the design, so may even be able to come up with a good little spray setup for each one.
Can even 3D print a little stand specifically designed for the cases! :rofl2:

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
Yes tazzi it's a series 1.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Yes tazzi it's a series 1.

Sounds like your thinking of the USB connection that the series2 units can have. So you charge your phone and play music when connected.
Although I generally just use the bluetooth to stream music.

Honestly couldnt recommend a series2 upgrade any higher. Holden should have had the series2 unit from the start as it is unbelievably better.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Wow. Been scanning the net for days on this.
New owner of a 2004 - VY2 - Commodore Wagon (V6).
Previous car of 18+ years a 1981 - VC - Starfire 4 - Commodore. So a slight upgrade! ;)

Very interested in this project.
Any idea on pricing or release dates yet?

I have a background in Computing (First job Commodore computers as a teenager), Amateur Radio / communication, & Electronics.

Also interested to know why Bluetooth and not WiFi? I know Bluetooth is lower power and aimed at these sorts of applications, but my experience has been that Bluetooth tends to be very flaky maintaining a connection compared to WiFi.
.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Wow. Been scanning the net for days on this.
New owner of a 2004 - VY2 - Commodore Wagon (V6).
Previous car of 18+ years a 1981 - VC - Starfire 4 - Commodore. So a slight upgrade! ;)

Very interested in this project.
Any idea on pricing or release dates yet?

I have a background in Computing (First job Commodore computers as a teenager), Amateur Radio / communication, & Electronics.

Also interested to know why Bluetooth and not WiFi? I know Bluetooth is lower power and aimed at these sorts of applications, but my experience has been that Bluetooth tends to be very flaky maintaining a connection compared to WiFi.
.-.-.

Ahh good question!
The old style bluetooth was terrible, extremely flakey and dropped out in a heartbeat. They also chewed through power which is why alot of people with old phones always had to turn the bluetooth off!.
But bluetooth has come a LONG way over the past few years, the BLE 4.0 bluetooth is very much stable and can communicate over massive distances now and uses only a fraction of the power.

I chose bluetooth over wifi, because WIFI requires alot more attention for developing programs and generally requires constant communication to keep the connection "alive". Ontop of that, WIFI is normally used as a source of internet thus that kind of connection prevents internet connectivity on laptops and mobiles plus any applications that attempt to request data using the WIFI connection could cause the OBD plug to do weird things!.
The bluetooth connection is alot easier to connect up to. And pretty much all smartphones use the new BLE 4.0 bluetooth standard.

As for speed, this is why I will have both USB and bluetooth available. USB will clock up to standard usb 2.0 rates which is plenty enough. And the bluetooth will be set to a safe rate, it will be fast but obviously not like the USB connection. But to be honest, the only time this would be of effect would be for tuning purposes. The bluetooth speed is still faster then what the ECU can even pump out for engine data logging :beer chug: