Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
First prototype made up.... :yahoo:

Envy_Front.jpg

Envy_Angle.jpg

Envy_Coin.jpg

More work to be done but its almost there.

Comparison next to the coin gives you an idea on its current size!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Sexy.................................................
What does the back look like just flat?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Sexy.................................................
What does the back look like just flat?

Currently it is flat, but it will have 4 holes at the back to indicate power, usb, bluetooth and car communication. Hoping I can get some custom stickers made up that will cover over the holes with a little icon to indicate what each means. Plus there will also be a USB hole on the side for USB connection

Annnnnnd also holes on the top for some screws to ensure it stays together. Well.. screws will either be on top or bottom. Guess if there on the bottom it gives to top a more "smooth" look!

cool man, looks like it didnt take you long to get the 3d printer going.
Oh yeah! Its been pumping out designs none stop. I make an alteration, and begin printing. And while thats printing, I make the new design ready for the next print for testing!

Hoepfully have a completely sorted design by the end of the weekend.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
haha not leaving yourself alot of time to finalise a design :p as usual working your way through your weekends and after hours :p

You should put on the top of it, ENVY CABLE BY ENYVOUS CUSTOMS :p instead of just enyvous customs :p

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Oh yeah! Its been pumping out designs none stop. I make an alteration, and begin printing. And while thats printing, I make the new design ready for the next print for testing!

Hoepfully have a completely sorted design by the end of the weekend.
So how long does it take to make?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
haha not leaving yourself alot of time to finalise a design :p as usual working your way through your weekends and after hours :p

You should put on the top of it, ENVY CABLE BY ENYVOUS CUSTOMS :p instead of just enyvous customs :p
Ahaha, whats a weekend??!!
Weekends are the only time I get to make progress on things! I dont actually get alot of free time during week days due to back to back calls and call outs.

Actually going to indent the 'envyous customs' text I think as it looks more clean and flush. Will see what I come up with today!
The main case is finished, just a few additions left.

So how long does it take to make?
Just the case using the 3D printer on good settings takes about an hour and 15mins for the full case. Or 40ish mins per half. Sounds like a long time, but thats because when set to fine settings, it comes out very smooth and finishes well.

Soldering up the PCB boards takes about an hour as well. Then theres testing to do ontop of that to ensure each one is working correctly.

All in all, about 2hours per cable to make and test.

So alot of hours go into them currently!. Realistically, I could only make a few a day like that with current work load. I only intend to make about a dozen with the 3D printer while I finalize discussions with the manufacturer.
Time requirements should drastically drop as the manufacture will make the cases, make the PCB's, solder the PCB's and I will assemble here. The cases made by the manufacturer will be silky smooth and should be able to get various colours made up.

Only thing Ill need to do is attach the main OBD plug, flash the microcontroller and test each one!. This means I will have more time working on software!

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
What about that ABS module addon you were talking about awhile ago, is that internal to the unit or going to be part of the USB cable?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
What about that ABS module addon you were talking about awhile ago, is that internal to the unit or going to be part of the USB cable?

Based on the wiring diagrams, I technically shouldn't be able to communicate in car to the old ABS modules in VT-VY Holden commodores, but Iv tested on over a dozen cars now and have happily communicated to them without any modifications!

So the standard ALDL setup I have in the Envy cables which is the same for the current ALDL cables will work for ABS diagnostics!