Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Hey Sus this out.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/mycar-sound-communications/253316-m238-s160-android-car-stereo-2004-vy2-commodore-wagon.html

It's a Android based replacement Stereo custom made for perfect fit and plug and play with original wiring. (Quad Core, 1Gig Ram).

This is what I'm wondering. Because it already has it's own ALDL interface for the steering wheel radio buttons and it's Android, could a driver be written to run Tazzi's software on this device via the interface already wired in? Just an idea.

Worst case, I'd just have to link it via BlueTooth and all would be sweet anyhow.
I plan to get a interface but still just wondering?? :)

.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hey Sus this out.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/mycar-sound-communications/253316-m238-s160-android-car-stereo-2004-vy2-commodore-wagon.html

It's a Android based replacement Stereo custom made for perfect fit and plug and play with original wiring. (Quad Core, 1Gig Ram).

This is what I'm wondering. Because it already has it's own ALDL interface for the steering wheel radio buttons and it's Android, could a driver be written to run Tazzi's software on this device via the interface already wired in? Just an idea.

Worst case, I'd just have to link it via BlueTooth and all would be sweet anyhow.
I plan to get a interface but still just wondering?? :)

.-.-.

I dont see it mention ALDL anywhere in there?. It might fit a commodore since its just a double din but it doesnt look it it supports the ALDL protocol (OBD2 does not mean ALDL at all).

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
Yep. What ever the radio buttons on the wheel run on to go into the stereo?

I just assumed it's all done over the same bus lines?

The after market stereo does support these buttons so there is a connection into the bus possibly if this is how it's done.
How ever the original Commodore stereo interfaces the new one works the same way.

So regardless if it's OBD2 or ALDL are the electronics interfacing wise the same? If so wouldn't it just be a software design situation?

Either way it's Android and supports bluetooth and USB so I guess I can just run a cable if necessary.

.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Yep. What ever the radio buttons on the wheel run on to go into the stereo?

I just assumed it's all done over the same bus lines?

The after market stereo does support these buttons so there is a connection into the bus possibly if this is how it's done.
How ever the original Commodore stereo interfaces the new one works the same way.

So regardless if it's OBD2 or ALDL are the electronics interfacing wise the same? If so wouldn't it just be a software design situation?

Either way it's Android and supports bluetooth and USB so I guess I can just run a cable if necessary.

.-.-.
Does it state it works with the wheel controls? Not sure I saw that?. Wheel controls dont run on comms line, they are direct wires to control volume ect.
You would need to read up in the manual to how they interface with it all. Theres alot of things on teh web that state they "work" with Holdens, it doesnt mean its dedicated to our commodores. Just looking at the website.. its the exact same device listed for every possible car make available so I highly doubt its specifically design for our Holdens.

It does look good though. Its simply just another aftermarket stereo.. just like any of the other touchscreen 7inch screen units available from auto stores or ebay :beer chug:

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
Does it state it works with the wheel controls? Not sure I saw that?. Wheel controls dont run on comms line, they are direct wires to control volume ect.
You would need to read up in the manual to how they interface with it all. Theres alot of things on teh web that state they "work" with Holdens, it doesnt mean its dedicated to our commodores. Just looking at the website.. its the exact same device listed for every possible car make available so I highly doubt its specifically design for our Holdens.

It does look good though. Its simply just another aftermarket stereo.. just like any of the other touchscreen 7inch screen units available from auto stores or ebay :beer chug:

Hi, Yes and no. It is a generic stereo for multiple cars. However they market them individually with custom kits to suit the different models.
Each kit comes with special housings and wiring harnesses to fit into the car as if it were factory fitted.
Antenna compatibility, wheel controls, & a custom boot screen for the make and model are all part of the kit.

Searching the net comes up with numerous sources for the kit to suit a VY Commodore for example.
There are spec sheets and manuals on some sites however I'm yet to work out exactly how it does this.
Some of their other range in different models suggest that it sits on the Bus and reads the commands as they pass through. So I'm not sure.

Some sites also suggest that it's Duel OS both Windoze CE & Android with the ability to flip between.

I'm putting more research into it all and trying to find the OEM manufacturer etc.

But it's looking like it could be a handy bit of gear for those wanting to do computer stuff in the car. Things like monitoring the engine etc. Or in my case some Ham Radio stuff as well.

.-.-.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
A bit of a follow up.

I've located the manufacturer.

The S160 series Stereo's support "CANbus" interfacing.

So not sure if that's helpful at all?

.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
A bit of a follow up.

I've located the manufacturer.

The S160 series Stereo's support "CANbus" interfacing.

So not sure if that's helpful at all?

.-.-.

Yeah I did a bit of googling on it as well.

CANBus is an OBD2 language. ALDL is not OBD2 so its not supported for it.
The entire system is generic just like any other stereo upgrade for VT-VZ's. This mob jave styled the face a litle bit to suit the VY/VZ's a bit more. But I think they are overselling the whole "integrated" type stuff as it has no ability to communicate the a VY's communication line. Looks like a good fancy little unit, just I wouldnt pay attention to any of this integrated communication line stuff, it says that for the other 1000 other generic designs they made for other manufactuers.

It would make a good template to make an andriod app dedicated to Holdens for the VZ range maybe...

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
Yeah I did a bit of googling on it as well.

CANBus is an OBD2 language. ALDL is not OBD2 so its not supported for it.
The entire system is generic just like any other stereo upgrade for VT-VZ's. This mob jave styled the face a litle bit to suit the VY/VZ's a bit more. But I think they are overselling the whole "integrated" type stuff as it has no ability to communicate the a VY's communication line. Looks like a good fancy little unit, just I wouldnt pay attention to any of this integrated communication line stuff, it says that for the other 1000 other generic designs they made for other manufactuers.

It would make a good template to make an andriod app dedicated to Holdens for the VZ range maybe...

Hi TazzI!,

Yes, I found the whole thing quiet interesting.
The big fact that it's Android and decent CPU, RAM, & Flash spec's interests me greatly.
I will continue to look into it as for now it's looking to be a nice option for the car.

So does CANbus / OBD2 interface using the same connector pins as ALDL?
If so, perhaps a driver could be developed for the S160's to do both. If the hardware interfacing is already there then it's only a software solution that's needed?

.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi TazzI!,

Yes, I found the whole thing quiet interesting.
The big fact that it's Android and decent CPU, RAM, & Flash spec's interests me greatly.
I will continue to look into it as for now it's looking to be a nice option for the car.

So does CANbus / OBD2 interface using the same connector pins as ALDL?
If so, perhaps a driver could be developed for the S160's to do both. If the hardware interfacing is already there then it's only a software solution that's needed?

.-.-.
The same connector is used, but not the same pins. ALDL is on a completely different pin and also requires different components to be able to be able to 'communicate' with it. Unfortunately its not a matter of simply hackin a bit of software together to get a can transceiver to communicate to ALDL as its physically not capable of interpreting anything other then CAN communication.

Its a bit to take in, but maybe some day I might be able to rig something together to work with android headunits as I believe all most aftermarket units will run on an android interface in a couple years time which will allow developers to make interesting integrated applications and devices!

how goes the prototypes tazzi? havent seen a final design photo yet :p
Been overseas for a business trip, but now Im back I am straight back into the design!.

Iv got the design together.. its bigger then I hoped but had to be that size to fit it all in nicely. Im currently printing in a new black filament that I have just received so will post up some pictures once its finished.

The early prototype is working though, fits in the case and is a neat little package!.
Im able to successfully communicate to an VY LS1 ECU, VE V8 ECU, VT instrument cluster and VE instrument cluster all using this one cable via bluetooth. All of those devices use a different "language" so its good to finally have everything all in one package! :beer chug:

Ill take pictures of the new design when this fresh print is finished. Its different to the previous designs due to size constraints.. but hopefully its still on point (As the kids say these days).

The last couple things left on the list are:
1) Custom little stickers made up which will indicate the power, USB, Bluetooth and OBD communication that will cover the 4 little light holes on the back and will illuminate nicely.
2) Find a little micro usb 'plug' to fit into the USB connection slot to protect it.
3) Finish off a bit more coding on the device and send out some beta samples for people to use
4) Make some quick basic software to use the new cable or implement the cables 'language' into my existing applications for testing.

Other then that.. its almost there!. Theres a little bit of coding to still do before its at a standard that Im happy with but Im getting there slowly!.