Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Research and Development Thread!!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
howd the design and planning go tazzi?

Have had 8 revisions since my last "last" revision :rofl2:

There is a fully functioning prototype (Well.. a few) on the bench which I have been refining coding wise.
Trying to make this thing as future proof as possible so I do not have to add any updates for it. Also updates cannot be done remotely which is another reason why Im trying to make this thing absolutely rock solid.
The main parts of coding I have been adding in has been to making using the cable easier from a programmers view, Im still on the fence to whether I will be making the cables 'command list' available so other developers can adopt its protocol and continue developing diagnostic solutions for our vehicles.

Capabilities wise, its happily communicating to every protocol a commodore can output plus a few more. I have been using it both wired through USB and also bluetooth for reprogramming and live diagnostics and can happily say I am absolutely thrilled with its results.

My problem is, I keep thinking of additional "What if" options... such as...
- What if I want to expand to allow for wideband inputs
- What if I want a system to allow any sort of addon be attached without needing device specific commands on the scantool
- What if I want the ability to remotely control a relay to isolate systems while running live diagnostics
- What if I want a standalone live data logger

The above four are my main what if's.. they dont have to be in the first cable I produce.. since as time goes on I keep thinking of more add-ins. But I dont want to be having 10 different designs out there!.

Im going to be trying to do the wideband and standalone.. but depends on how much time they are going to require.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`m sure you will be fine.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
So keen for one of these. Doing great work TazzI!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So keen for one of these. Doing great work TazzI!

Its getting there. Im currently getting the cases mold developed and prototypes of the finished case made up now. Hopefully it all fits first shot!

Otherwise the first batch of cable cases will be 3D printed till a finished molded case has been successfully made.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Hi all, Just came back for a look. Has been ages and was dying to see a link as to where to buy! ;)

I'm all for open sourcing the command set. It can only encourage people to write some cool stuff for your interface.
Besides, these days the Chinese can pretty much reverse engineer anything electronic including fuse blown code if it's important enough to them.

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed. I turn 50 on Sept 8th this year and I'm really hoping to have one to enjoy by then.
My 2004 VY series 2 Commodore is the first modern car I have ever owned.
Last one was a 1982 VC Starfire 4cyl Commodore. Before that a 1979 UC Sunbird (Torana) Hatch (Also 4cyl Starfire).
I chose the VY2 for it's fully cast iron V6 motor and rear wheel drive.

My life background is in Computers (Started working for CBM as a teenager), and in later years Communication and Ham Radio (Amateur Radio).

So Computers, Electronics, Radio, & Communication all mixed together. They marry so well and are always a lot of fun.

I can't wait to see what can be done with this car once I can access the data bus.

OK. Keep up the good work! :)

.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hi all, Just came back for a look. Has been ages and was dying to see a link as to where to buy! ;)

I'm all for open sourcing the command set. It can only encourage people to write some cool stuff for your interface.
Besides, these days the Chinese can pretty much reverse engineer anything electronic including fuse blown code if it's important enough to them.

Well I'll keep my fingers crossed. I turn 50 on Sept 8th this year and I'm really hoping to have one to enjoy by then.
My 2004 VY series 2 Commodore is the first modern car I have ever owned.
Last one was a 1982 VC Starfire 4cyl Commodore. Before that a 1979 UC Sunbird (Torana) Hatch (Also 4cyl Starfire).
I chose the VY2 for it's fully cast iron V6 motor and rear wheel drive.

My life background is in Computers (Started working for CBM as a teenager), and in later years Communication and Ham Radio (Amateur Radio).

So Computers, Electronics, Radio, & Communication all mixed together. They marry so well and are always a lot of fun.

I can't wait to see what can be done with this car once I can access the data bus.

OK. Keep up the good work! :)

.-.-.

Working on it!
Only so much one man can do in a single day.

New designs been sent off. Using parts that are smaller then I can physically solder, so this will be the first patch professional soldered up for me :beer chug:
Just need to flash in the latest firmware when it arrives and hopefully.. we have a winner!

All previous versions have worked perfect. Able to communicate to multiple different languages, indication lights on the back plus wireless connectivity. I did throw together a quick android and iphone app as well for quick testing.. which also worked great!

Theres actually two new revisions that are being made. One has an SD card input and the other does not. Im actually hoping the last addon extra is an external memory card to allow for standalone live data logging.

Iv made one without the SDCard as it was a radical change to the design to get it to all fit nicely. I havent made way in the case design either.. so thatll be the next drama I imagine.

Im currently on the fence whether the 'command set' for the diagnostic cable is to be made public for other developers. Its something Im not too sure about now.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Wow. Sounds good.

Love the SD card logging idea! :)

The command set I guess is something you can re-evaluate at any time anyhow as to if you want to release it publicly.

OK. All good I'll check back again in a few weeks time.

Can't wait to see what can be done with these things. :)

.-.-.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Just checking back. But looks like mine was the last post on this. :(

Ah well. By Christmas maybe??? :)

.-.-.

Yeah, lots to do, only so much one man can get done in one day!
I do have an end product sitting right next to me.. well.. a few actually! All soldered up and sitting happy in there own 3D printed cases :beer chug:.
I have had to make some compromises through.. No SDcards.. no analogue ports and no addon slots. At the rate I was going, I was causing myself alot more work that would have easily spilled over into next year.

I 'eventually' will have those options available, but probably as some sort of pro version eventually as its going to be a full overhaul on the design to get it to all fit and work hunky dorey in such a small space.

So... whats left I here some say???!!

Well number 1 on the list... is getting these 3D cases made using mould injection so they are a perfect clean case!

Then theres some last bits of coding I need to do for the actual hardware side of things, then itll be up to specs and ready for absolutely anything I can think of.
After that I have to actually make a windows application to go with it, right now I just have a very rough guts application I use to test commands and ensure it communicates over all the supported languages with the 18+ Holden and Ford modules I have all wired up simultaneously on the bench!

Software develop can be a VERY slow effort. Im actually going to overhaul my usual design framework to make something more faster, intuitive, more user friendly, touch screen compatible and overall a more modern and elegant design.

To get the ball rolling, I will be making a very basic application, everything will not be added in instantly as theres a tonne of programming to do. It will be something I will just constantly keep adding to constantly.. and when I mean constantly... I will actually probably roll out updates daily.. if not hourly.. :rofl2:
Its going to be a bit of a doosy as Im going to have to come up with more intuitive programming frameworks/designs to be able to handle different protocols/languages and how I can record these all into one file happily for replay and reviewing later... so replay capabilities might have to be held off until I get some more design time down and make a nice flow chart of its procedures (Yes.. I do use a white board for designing!).

The application will support VR through to VF.. the whole shebang including all modules in the car. And for those with a Ford Falcon.. I will be adding in support for BA through to FG as I begin R&D on those vehicles.

Now.. Im sure theres also a bunch of people saying "How much is it going to be?"... or "This is going to be stupidly expensive".
Iv always stuck by saying I want things affordable to the average joe, so I really will be pushing to do that.
But the problem is I need to push development prices very low, and to do so I have to mass produce this in the orders of 1000+ units, which at this time is just too much.

Since I cant invest in 1000+ units all in one hit, my only solution to keep costs low is to hand make the first 100+ cables... which will all be hand tested and personally seen through by me. :beer chug: