Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the most ridiculous thing i've heard from a dealer! Felt offended...

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Not sure how i can clarify this...

I just purchased a VF SS Wagon used (less than a yr old) from a dealer in WA. It is still under warranty. After driving for 2 weeks, i noticed theres this loud rattling sound coming from the driver side. (not sure if its the door or the B pillar) i did my research and found that it was the seat belt assembly causing the rattling noise.

So i brought my car in to the dealer and told them about it. Took a drive with the service Manager and have him listen for himself. the sound was clearly a metal contacting with metal sound. but he insisted that it was the cargo blinding that is making the sound. i didn't argue with him. he even mentioned that he drive the same car himself. (on the way back to the dealer, he asked me "yours is a SV6 right?") in my mind i was like... What?! you drive one of this yourself and u couldn't tell whether its a SS or SV6.

i left my car there for 2 days. and before i left, i specifically told him to get his guys to open up the B pillar and have a check.

2 days past and i was there to collect my car. as usual, i drove the car for a couple of rounds to make sure the noise was sorted out before i left. the metal rattling was dampened slightly but was still there. in addition, the door panels sounded like it was falling apart. i drove back n told him to check it again n i am ok to leave the car there another day or 2.
and i asked him, what was done and whether did he open up the B pillar to check. he immediately change the subject and emphasise that he apply some damping tape to the cargo blinding.

what he told me next completely threw me off.

"i have spend a lot of time on your car trying to find the source of the noise. we did all we could and theres nothing we can do about it. i can't possibly spend the whole day looking at your car. i pay 40-45bucks per hour to the guys. i rather them working on something else that can bring me money. and by the way, warranty for rattles is till 15000km." (good timing... my car's 14800km)

unfortunately, i was in uniform so i had to keep my cool and said thank you and walked off.

Anyone ever encounter such a thing?

it is my first Holden car. i do not have any experience with Holdens. Hope you guys can help.

Cheers!

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
Dig your heels in. It's under warranty so they must fix it.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
You noted it under the warranty period. If it's still there at 23,000km it has to be rectified as a warranty concern because it's ongoing.

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
You noted it under the warranty period. If it's still there at 23,000km it has to be rectified as a warranty concern because it's ongoing.

Hi Sabbath,

what exactly do you mean?

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Dig your heels in. It's under warranty so they must fix it.

i know... but I'm afraid i piss them off and they start doing funky things to my car which i won't know.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Sabbath,

what exactly do you mean?
An issue that you raise under the warranty period goes into the system, and if that still isnt fixed down the track, you can get it fixed even if the vehicle isnt still in the warranty period.

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Got it... thanks a lot sabbath.. .

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a problem. Is there another dealer nearby you can take the car to? Dealerships get paid different amounts for the warranty work they do depending on how the workshop is staffed. A different dealership might find a different attitude.

fergo84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
thats what I'm planning to do...

I'm just surprised that i got that kind of reply from Service Manager.

not trying to be nasty but to me "i dun care how much you pay your techs, you just solve the problem for me"

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Interior squeaks and rattles are technically covered until 3,000km (source: I process Holden warranty claims for a living). However, I wouldn't consider it interior squeaks and rattles if it's a metal/metal noise in the pillar (I'd have to hear it to be one way or the other). I'd take it to another dealer, and ask for it to be disassembled and inspected - however if it is a result of a trim/trim clip (remember some clips are metal for trim) issue then be prepared to pay for it as Holden won't.

Is that the dealership you purchased the vehicle from? We occasionally do that sort of work outside warranty and write it off in the interest of keeping the customer happy if they bought from us and are likely to service in our workshop.