Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Motorcycle Thread - anything and everything

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah the matte looks great. Like deuce says though it's hard to look after. Only go the matte if you plan on keeping it in the garage and only taking it out on nice days!

Harley sell a good matte paint cleaner that helps keep it streak free.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
My favorite bike was my Busa, loved it. 2006 model, fastest production bike in the world at that time. I will upload a photo here as soon a Photobucket decides it wants to load.

I used to race motocross as a kid and into my early 20s. Then didn't touch a bike for nearly 20 years. Got on a road bike and was hooked again. First bike was a Hyosung GV250, then straight to the Busa after 6 months. Have a mate that bought a new 2010 GSXR1000, reckons his bike was faster than mine.....it wasn't....He kept joking that I was riding a lounge chair and it wasn't a "true" sports bike. It didn't matter to me, I was comfortable on it, I felt like I was leaning over the front wheel on his Gixxer.

IMAG01861.jpg

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
If you are a clean freak or perfectionist, go with a gloss colour. Otherwise that matte Grey is hands down winner coolest colour.

I don't think I could live with a matte finish. I like polish & wax shine too much

I prefer shiny too but that grey does look nice.

Yeah the matte looks great. Like deuce says though it's hard to look after. Only go the matte if you plan on keeping it in the garage and only taking it out on nice days!

I think it looks awesome but I do worry about keeping it clean. As well as that, small nicks and scratches can't be buffed out. It's not going to be a show bike. I want to ride it! I also live semi-rural so I think for all those reasons I'll have to skip the matte option.

Harley sell a good matte paint cleaner that helps keep it streak free.

True... But keeping it clean vs riding it and enjoying it... So hard!

White - be different.

That exact phrase has been in the back of my mind the whole time since I sat on the white one in the shop. It's also a pearl white with blue fleck in it. In the sun it looks amazing! And as you say, different.

Still, classic gloss black with lots of chrome is timeless.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
That exact phrase has been in the back of my mind the whole time since I sat on the white one in the shop. It's also a pearl white with blue fleck in it. In the sun it looks amazing! And as you say, different.

Still, classic gloss black with lots of chrome is timeless.

If that's your thought pattern, go white.
I would get sick of parking up next to other black glides at every pub I stopped at.
(My bike is a blue/green/black changing color over light silver with 180 dark silver airbrushed stencil grim reapers.)

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
If that's your thought pattern, go white.
I would get sick of parking up next to other black glides at every pub I stopped at.
(My bike is a blue/green/black changing color over light silver with 180 dark silver airbrushed stencil grim reapers.)

I agree. Pearl white with a blue fleck sounds bloody awesome.
No doubt you would do some mods down the track - blacked out with white pearl makes me drool thinking about it??

I changed mine from silver denim (matt silver) to the colour it is now (black cherry arson) and although 6 years old it still gets more looks than most new black bikes. When we go riding nearly all other HD's are black.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
well my story - owned dirt bikes and what not. brother in law lives in Melbourne and bought a new naked bike (not idea brand or model)

his first bike, a Honda Magna, was now sitting out front exposed to all the elements (after his 4th bike cover was stolen he gave up covering it) and after his neighbours complaining to the council he asked if i wanted it.

i took it off his hands, thinking last time i saw it - it was a nice bike.

20150712_171121.jpg

now, not so much. shes VERY tired. i dropped the oil and she look shimmery so i stopped after that.

i had plans to redo the seat, cheaply matt black the whole bike, and service her and get her running again. but now she sits in the corner of the shed, collecting dust.

whats do others think i should do?

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
1979 RD250
1983 GPZ550
1976 Z1000A
1985 GPZ1000rx with trailer
1998 CBR600
2005 FZ6
2006 FZ6
2011 XJR1300

Its undergone a few changes since this shot but havent got one handy.

Attachments

• DSC_0308.jpg
    DSC_0308.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 142

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
well my story - owned dirt bikes and what not. brother in law lives in Melbourne and bought a new naked bike (not idea brand or model)

his first bike, a Honda Magna, was now sitting out front exposed to all the elements (after his 4th bike cover was stolen he gave up covering it) and after his neighbours complaining to the council he asked if i wanted it.

i took it off his hands, thinking last time i saw it - it was a nice bike.

20150712_171121.jpg

now, not so much. shes VERY tired. i dropped the oil and she look shimmery so i stopped after that.

i had plans to redo the seat, cheaply matt black the whole bike, and service her and get her running again. but now she sits in the corner of the shed, collecting dust.

whats do others think i should do?
I think you should restore it to it's original condition.

DSC05743.jpg

I picked this up on Monday.
After giving up bikes about 40 years ago I was also bitten by the bug again.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ive got a few posties, bought my first one when i was 15 and been playing with them ever since.

Here is a 1973 Trail 90 ive been fixing up recently.

Just have to get the indicators working and it needs some new rear shock then im going to get it on historic rego.