Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Revenue Raisers In Blue

Do you think the Police are just here to raise revenue?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • No.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
the police do other things besides raise revenue
take for instance if your in need of help on the road they will call ppl for you
in some cases they will give you a lift (i dont mean being arrested)
they do all sorts of things for you
they just get a bad wrap cause somebody got a fine and gets pissed off with them and tells all there freinds.

ok sometimes they are a pain in the arse but live with it they aint going away.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
what it comes down to is as simple as this, if you break the law you should suffer, i will admit, i have on a few occasions been done for speeding, and looking back im glad they actualy caught me, the speeds i was doing was totaly insane. if you get caught it's your own fault, you should not blame the police for revune raising. I guess what it comes down to is people out there wanna modify their cars which is all well and good, but where can you actualy use them with all the mod's you made, up here, people will actualy close the commera section of the m1 and race down that, they do get caught. what the police need to do is set up some sort of a place for racing. e.g. a sprint track, they used to do that up here at archerfield, but then the stupid public liability insurance problem put a quick smart to that, mabey that's something they should do, look at doing that.

that's just my thought

cheers
garth

p.s. they do have a job to do, protect the people on the roads.

vxexec350

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder/VX Exec LS1/VN Berlina 5.0
The suggestion that police are there JUST to raise money is, in my opinion, a bit silly. If you thought about it a bit you would realise that. They have a job to do and very little of it makes money for the state.
Hands up who wants to;
Assist at the scene of a fatal car crash where a young child was killed.
Then go and tell the childs' mother that her baby is dead.
Attend the scene of a shootout and risk getting shot.
Direct traffic at an intersection where the lights are not working and take abuse from drivers who think they have waited too long.
Get involved with stupid fights among drunken louts at the risk of personal injury.
Be constantly surrounded by dangourous people who mean you harm.
No not all they do is just in the pursuit of funds.
Pete

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
that is a good point pete, i know i would be the last person to put my hand up to do any of those things, the police have my full respect

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
As in every box of apples there are good and bad ones, its a shame that car enthusiasts seem to attract the rotten individuals. Personally I'm sick of driving around feeling like a criminal because I own a modified car (and its not exactly a 9.0 second skyline). I think more legal dragstrips and professional skid training etc would help ease the situation and have the coppers going after some real crims.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
The police and government target the modified car scene because of the select few who have ruined it for everyone else. We've all seen it and most of us have probably done it in the past or are still doing it; unfortunately it takes a fatality or a near miss to snap some people out of bad driving habits. Almost every night I see guys with nothing more than some chopped springs and an exhaust who think their cars are V8 Supercars and that they're lapping at Bathurst rather than the local S bends. Its guys and girls like this that kill themselves and more often than not innocent people, all for the sake of being cool and showing off. For Queenslanders particularly those from the South East, we have Willowbank- there’s a test and tune almost every week, its reasonably priced, you always get a few runs in a night, you can race your friends for bragging rights, put on smoke shows, show off your car and most of all- IT IS ALL LEGAL.

As for raising revenue it’s the government and not its employees who lay down the laws and the fines, as Pete pointed out- our Police do a great job. These guys see the repercussions everyday on the job and in my opinion should be paid a lot more than what they do.

Police only being revenue raisers- Hell NO it's a stupid question

Below is what our Police officers deal with everyday across the country

The Silver VP was Westbound (or travelling towards Liverpool from the Sydney direction) on Newbridge Road (70 kph Zone), Liverpool and the Red car was Eastbound (towards Sydney)on Newbridge Road. The young driver of the silver VP, apparently due to excessively high speed, lost control of his vehicle, mounted the medium strip and veered across into the on-coming path of the red VL.

There were 5 people in the VP Commodore sedan and one person in the red VL Commodore sedan. The driver of the VL was killed instantly and both front occupants of the VP were killed. The three rear passengers survived.

Take it easy on the roads people, especially the young guys who no doubt drive like I once did. I'm not saying dont have fun or enjoy your cars, just takecare and dont forget how quick this sh!t happens.

Jake.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I am in South Australia. We have this new speed limit enforced last year of 50ks per hour in built up areas only. How confused are we all? No one is clear on what areas are 50 in most areas. There are signs around that state 'remember, 50ks unless signposted.' Well thats great but with all the signs, keeping your eye on the traffic, pedestrians etc, it's not always possible to know if the street/road your on is 50, 60, 70, 80 etc. There are so many speed zones that change frequently, some on the same stretch of road. Some back streets in metro areas are actually 40kph. It's a bloody nightmare.

In two months I have forked over $460 in fines for doing 11ks over the limit in 50 zones. You can't tell me this is not revenue raising! Throwing speed cameras on back streets to catch us poor sods doing 61 and not realising we are speeding! If they were serious, why not be on the highways where they can catch people doing dangerous speeds.

I also read in the paper yesterday, that despite the increase in speed detection units, there has not been a decrease in the road toll. So if it is not working, why continue? Ahh, it raises a shitload of money! In SA, the police do not sit in the cars with cameras, that is a job for private security contracted to the police.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not saying that handing out fines is helping cut the road toll or for that matter keeping the roads safe. I'm saying that it is up to the individual to slow down and exercise some caution.

Why cut the limit to 50kph in built up areas you say?

Because quite simply, cars pull out of driveways, children race out on push bikes, race out chasing the football, race out without looking or thinking because they're just being children. Honestly it isn’t hard to judge what a "Built up area" is, we've had it up here in Queensland for a few years now and I'm all for it. Why? Because I remember what it was like running amuck as a kid, we used to play cricket on the road or kick the football or fly down hills on skateboards. Children wouldn’t stand a chance doing the same things with twice the amount of traffic on the roads without people slowing down a little.

According to PBR (Not the government), who is unquestionably one of the countries leaders in braking systems?

On average in a late model car with ABS and a flawless braking system.

It takes 22.3m to stop doing 50kph and 35.5m to stop doing 60kph.

Sometimes that 13.2m is the difference between life and death.

I'm sure everyone’s done 160kph on the highway sometime in their life; it takes 168.8m to stop

End rant

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
QUOTE Why cut the limit to 50kph in built up areas you say?

I never asked why, I stated that it is ridiculous as it is not clear. Not all built up areas are 50, some are 40, some are still 60 or even 70. The police in SA admitted in the paper a few days ago that the SA public are very confused and they need to educate us more. No, they need to get it right and not have roads with differant speeds - something more uniform would stop people like me having to part with money for speeding, when they thought they were doing the speed limit.

If ALL built up areas were 50 then we would do that. The public are up in the air here. I have not had a speeding fine for years, always observe the limit - then this stupid all over the place speed zones come in, and I get two fines back to back. Reading the letters in the paper I find I am not alone, people are being done for speeding who have never been caught before. It's a mess, and a huge revenue raiser for the greedy government, they are raking in $$'s for suckers doing 60 in a 50 zone.

I would be happy to cop a fine if I was speeding and knew it. The first fine I got a month after the 'offence' having gone thru a camera. I was stunned, my work colleagues also expressed amazement that the road I was caught on was 50. I was doing 61.

The second one I was pulled over by a cop in a car on the esplanade at the end of the road I live in. I thought I was going to get done for having the stereo too loud, I was shocked when he told me I was speeding. I have driven for years up and down the esplanade, always around the same speed. There are no signs indicating it is a 50 zone on the esplanade.