Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ultimate Tacho Thread

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
slundy said:
So, to conclude:

VB-VL= signal wire to coil.

incorrect. the signal wire on a VL does NOT go to the coil! there is a wire behind the instrument cluster. the coil is a multi spark system i believe and will give an incorrect reading. in the Gregory's manual it says there is a signal wire hanging behind the alternator but that is incorrect too, it is only a test wire.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Ah yes bangers, my mistake I forgot about the rb30's. However V8's should still be able to go to the coil though right?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i imagine so as the V8 didn't have an ECU. but then like the RB30 the wiring loom may be the same for auto and manual. i can't say for certain.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Either way....the wire will always be behind the dash as well....

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
what about installing a stand-alone shift light?? How do you wire one of those up?

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Or installing a water temp gauge, oil temp, oil pressure..

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
what about installing a stand-alone shift light?? How do you wire one of those up?

Read the instructions, there will be a signial wire that will be connected to the same signal wire as your tacho. (see above posts for instructoins on finding wire.)

Or installing a water temp gauge, oil temp, oil pressure..

A few questions there. Depends on the car, engine and gauge. more info needed.

bobhasnoshoes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
help me

can some1 plzzzzz help me?!?!, i got a VH Commodore n im lookin to wire up my tacho but i wouldnt have the faintest idea when it come to wiring n electricals. can some one tell me how to do this in a way that even id be able to understand?? cheers

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
can some1 plzzzzz help me?!?!, i got a VH Commodore n im lookin to wire up my tacho but i wouldnt have the faintest idea when it come to wiring n electricals. can some one tell me how to do this in a way that even id be able to understand?? cheers

Look at my post above, red will always be postive and black neg, ones lights and the other coil.

onedollarshort

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive s1
cheers man im havin big dramas with the tacho i got now i own a vt and im trying to put my speco 4 in 1 tacho in and i have got all gauges to work excep the tacho i have tested the tacho on a different car and the tacho itself works fine and i have tested the tacho off the wiring on the guage cluster in my vt and i cant get it to work any suggestions