Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tightening original bolts to specified Nm's

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Again, this is not about calliper bolts, it is about the assumption that if a bolt is TTY then they should be supplied with the parts that is being replaced, it is a bullshit assumption that no real mechanic would ever use.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Towcar

Every factory workshop manual I've used has clearly spelled out where bolts should be replaced. I can't recall seeing caliper bolts being amongst them though plenty of major suspension bolts were clearly listed as not being reusable

I'm like commodore. I've replaced pads many times over the years and always reused caliper bolts. They're high tensile and not the stretch-tension type. Can't see why you are so critical of commodore, though I accept and admire your standards.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Again, this is not about calliper bolts, it is about the assumption that if a bolt is TTY then they should be supplied with the parts that is being replaced, it is a bullshit assumption that no real mechanic would ever use.

Strangely enough, stupid suspension people like myself do read a few books to help us with our job and make sure people like you don't kill some innocient person due to our neglience....

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
really? But the suspension rubbers aren't supplied with replacement bolts, you clearly state, and have not yet retracted that unless replacement bolts are supplied you do not replace them.

And where have I said the bolts used for brake callipers need replacing? I never did, maybe read my posts Calaber.

Also vc commodore I never said you were stupid, just that your comments seemed to show a negligent attitude to bolts that should be replaced but putting the responsibility on the part manufacturers to supply new bolts when they are required.

I sincerely hope that is not the case, and from this comment it sounds like to spite your comment earlier that you would replace a TTY bolt based on the workshop manual recommendations.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
really? But the suspension rubbers aren't supplied with replacement bolts, you clearly state, and have not yet retracted that unless replacement bolts are supplied you do not replace them.

And where have I said the bolts used for brake callipers need replacing? I never did, maybe read my posts Calaber.

Also vc commodore I never said you were stupid, just that your comments seemed to show a negligent attitude to bolts that should be replaced but putting the responsibility on the part manufacturers to supply new bolts when they are required.

I sincerely hope that is not the case, and from this comment it sounds like to spite your comment earlier that you would replace a TTY bolt based on the workshop manual recommendations.

Sorry Towcar but now your getting confused. You state that you never said to replace caliper bolts, yet criticise another member for not doing so. Re-read your posts nos. 6 and 9. Looks pretty clear to me, and others, that you are saying they should b e replaced, even if they don't accompany the pads in replacement kits.

Anyway, stuff it. This minor detail isn't worth worrying over. You can replace whatever bolts you like and we'll do the same. Hopefully, none of us will ever have to regret our decisions.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

What ever pal.....You remind me of the anal people I deal with day in day out.....They know everything, yet they can't do the work themselves, because they're internet experts and have no hands on experience.....So be thankful, you live the opposite side of the Tasman to me, so there is no way I'll ever lay a spanner on your car.

And just to clarify a few things.....I've stuck to the topic at hand, rather than delve right into every single nut and bolt underneath a car....If I was to do this, or even go through every single brand car and their calipers, stating which ones have to have their caliper bolts replaced everytime they are undone, we'd be reading this thread for the next week. Considering that's not what was asked, I felt it'd be pointless.....So how about going back to the original question and answer that, instead of worrying about every other nut and bolt underneath a car

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sorry Towcar but now your getting confused. You state that you never said to replace caliper bolts, yet criticise another member for not doing so. Re-read your posts nos. 6 and 9. Looks pretty clear to me, and others, that you are saying they should b e replaced, even if they don't accompany the pads in replacement kits.

Anyway, stuff it. This minor detail isn't worth worrying over. You can replace whatever bolts you like and we'll do the same. Hopefully, none of us will ever have to regret our decisions.

I agree with this.....Whilst it isn't a necessity to replace these bolts, the owner can decide whether or not he or she does replace them, everytime these bolts are undone.

A manufacturer of a car, or any workshop won't honor any failure if the recommended procedure or replacement parts aren't undertaken when required. Considering the brake caliper bolt isn't required to be replaced by Holden everytime it is undone, would suggest to me, they haven't had any failures as a result of it being reused, therefore the necessity of it being replaced isn't an absolute necessity...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've never replaced the bolt(s) that hold the caliper onto the hub flange however I have replaced the spring washer if it is stuffed.

Some Commodore brake pads do come with new bolts for the caliper slide pins however I believe this is because the bolts come supplied with a thread locker compound already applied to the replacement bolt threads rather then these been TTY bolts. I have on occasion just used Loctite on these bolts without issue when doing a complete caliper re-kit. Haven't had one fail yet.

I'm no expert but I believe the slide pin bolts use a locking compound because they are holding together parts of dissimilar metals that go through a lot of heating/cooling cycles which has the potential to come loose.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don't want to join a fray, but I was wondering why Holden recommend replacing the bolts? Is it because of the "micro encapsulated" thread locker or is it for some other reason?

I've usually replaced them but a mechanic has told me that they just use a dob of Loctite and reuse them.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'd say Holden suggest you should replace them even though it's not essential is because that is the safest approach. Should you choose not to do it you take your own chances and it's not Holdens problem.
I've seen the slide bolts for sale for VE's online. I think they come with the anti rattle shims and cost about $20