Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Titan's Holden VY Series II Ute.

Discussion in 'VY - VZ - WK - WL - V2' started by TITANSVY, Nov 7, 2016.

1. TITANSVY

TITANSVY VY II Ute

Members Ride:
    VY Series II Ute
    Details.

Model:
    VY Series II Ute.
    Year: 2003
    Engine: ECOTEC L36 Series II 3.8L 152 kW (204 hp)
    Trans: 4-speed GM 4L60-E (M30) automatic.
    Suspension: Standard suspension all round.
    Colour: Delft Blue (paint code: 702H)
    Interior: All original, but a crappy JVC head.
    Kilometers: Purchased at 270,000 Kms, currently at 282,000 Kms.
    Purchased: August 2016.

Completed Modifications/Upgrades.
    • Head unit upgrade. (Shitty JVC unit. Will update to a nice one eventually) Half hangs out cause a drunk friend broke the facia...
    • Speakers changed to alpine units.
    • Upgraded headlights. (Phillips H4+H1 Xtremevision's)
    • Threw in some floor mats just to save the carpet.

Future Modifications/Upgrades.
    • Tint the windows.
    • LED's in the interior/exterior lights.
    • VE Series II SS/SV6 18" Rims.
    • 2.5" Cat back exhaust.
    • Lower to around SL / SSL height with new shock absorbers aswell.
    • SS front and rear bumpers and side skirts.
    • Hard tonneau cover/New soft tonneau cover.
    • New antenna.
    • Black interior setup. (reupholster)

Story

So I bought this ute as my first car cause I've always wanted one for how practical it'd be with my work. I was going to find one with everything I wanted done to it already, but I wouldn't want to take it into paddocks etc. This ute drove past with a for sale sticker, we followed and ended up buying it.

The body and paint isn't in the best condition. However, as it's a work/country ute I'm not particularly worried about it. I'd just say it has character. Mechanically the ute's fine, runs perfectly and hasn't missed a beat since I bought it. I'll update this thread as I do work/get work done to it. I'd like to hear what you guys think about the modification ideas and the ute as a whole.

Images/Updates Summary
    7th November 2016. (Would've just hyperlinked them, but they're huge.)
    VY II Ute (November 2016.) - Album on Imgur
    I'd only driven the ute not long at this point. As I got my license in October.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Risky

Risky Guest

lol looks like mine!

3. TITANSVY

TITANSVY VY II Ute

Members Ride:
    VY Series II Ute
    It does haha, been looking at your post for ideas on what to do to mine. I'm a big fan of the colour and the way yours has turned out. It's a good guide.

4. VESSVBLACK

VESSVBLACK Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Series 1
    beautiful rig mate, well done

5. TITANSVY

TITANSVY VY II Ute

Members Ride:
    VY Series II Ute
    Thanks mate. Was just the right place at the right time and it seemed like a good buy. I'll get some more photos of the interior and bits and pieces up tomorrow to show it off a bit.

6. Risky

Risky Guest

Better start getting the bits & pieces you need as Holden doesn't have much left of them. Basically I just proved that you can do a restoration without going over the top. Parts are cheap in comparison to other marques & doing sympathetic upgrades keep it fresh.

Thanks for using my ute as a yardstick. I'm glad it can inspire others to do their own mods :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016
  7. FlatOut 710

FlatOut 710 Yeah nah mate

Members Ride:
    97 VT Commodore S Pack
    Looks really good mate, I envy you blokes and your utes lol, nah but they have great potential [As threads have shown haha], look forward to see what you've got in store for her :)

8. TITANSVY

TITANSVY VY II Ute

Members Ride:
    VY Series II Ute
    It's not going to be anything pretty, but it'll be what gets the job done for the time being. Picked up a head unit and fascia kit today, although they sent a black one instead of grey. But not going to let it worry me, throwing it in tomorrow as I don't have the wiring for it.

9. Risky

Risky Guest

I've had to replace the centre console for mine where the vent controls are as it has cracked. Holden don't have the grey ones in stock so I bought a black faced one as they are common in VZ's. I wouldn't worry about the black fascia.

10. TITANSVY

TITANSVY VY II Ute

Members Ride:
    VY Series II Ute
    Yeah I'm not too worried, it looks kind of like it fits anyway with the way the dashes are coloured. I've gotten given a JVC unit and thrown that in, it's half sitting there at the moment just cause I've got some other ideas and possibly a newer head unit to go in if another friend decides to buy a new car. I've also got some VE SV6 rims lined up to buy off a mate and a place to machine them to fit. So there may be some updates to how she looks shortly.

11. Risky

Risky Guest

lol it will look like mine except no hard lid.

12. TITANSVY

TITANSVY VY II Ute

Members Ride:
    VY Series II Ute
    That's gonna be the goal haha. Just with lots more scratches.

UPDATE: Also got a mate who's getting new springs for his VY, so I'm getting his old SL rears at the moment and soon his SL fronts too. Looking forward to getting all of this put together.

13. Risky

Risky Guest

Make sure the springs are good. If they are & you put them on keep your old ones.

14. TITANSVY

TITANSVY VY II Ute

Members Ride:
    VY Series II Ute
    So it's been like a month, so heres whats been happening with the ute. She's going perfectly and hasn't missed a beat even with the 275,000Kms it has on it. It's nearly due a service soon (another 600Kms) which is good because the driver side brake light at the rear is being a tad bit dodgy. I've gotten the crappy JVC head unit put in and loving being able to listen to something other than the radio. Makes life much better.

However the last two weeks I haven't driven it much. Had to get my jaw reconstructed and my wisdom teeth pulled out after some unfortunate events. Which has massively ruined the budget for stuff I wanted but ohwell, hopefully back to work as of next week. Also got to drive my friends VE Series II SV6 ute for a while a couple weeks back. The LFX's ain't bad.

I'll get some photos next time I'm out and about and update what's happening soon.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017