Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque settings for manifold and head bolts on a V6 VS?

MickyJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS Acclaim V6 Wagon
I'm in the process of installing a new head gasket set on my V6 VS Acclaim and am hoping someone here can tell the correct torque settings, stages and sequences for the manifold and head bolts... or failing that, direct me to a site that has the specifications??? Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
9.jpg

LOWER INLET MANIFOLD 12- 18 Nm
ATTACHING BOLTS

UPPER INLET MANIFOLD
ATTACHING BOLT
TORQUE SPECIFICATION
10 - 14 Nm

The VS V6 gregorys manual says that the inlet manifold bolts should be tightened up in two stages.
For the first stage,they should be tightened up 3-6 Nm in the correct tightening sequence.
Then for the second stage,they should be tightened up 12 -18 Nm in the correct tightening sequence.

I have no idea about the head gasket specs...

MickyJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS Acclaim V6 Wagon
Thanks James... now all I need are the head specs! Cheers :spot on:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Not included with the new gasket?

It just so happens I was just looking at the specs. ( VT actually but they'll be the same).

Head bolts: 34Nm, all, in the correct sequence, then +90 degrees, all, then +90 degrees, all, again, with Loctite 242 applied to the threads (that will affect the tension vs torque). 242 should also be applied to the UIM and LIM bolts.

The rocker pedestal bolts are single use. 11-19Nm + 87-90 degrees.

Valve lifter guide bolts are 26-34Nm

That should cover the critical bolts.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The above info is not right for the heads on VS ecotec, the workshop manual for VS says the heads tighten up in 3 stages. For the first stage, the heads should be tensioned up to 34 Nm following the proper tightening sequence. Then for the second stage, they should be tensioned up a further 90 degrees or 1 quarter of a turn (not exceeding 90 Nm) following the proper tightening sequence. Then for the final stage, they should be tightened up to 90 Nm following the proper tightening sequence.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I don't have access to the VT specs. anymore to check but they should be applicable to both models. I do have it written down as I've posted ^ and I was careful (they're for my own use too) so I don't think I made an error in the transcription. I've since seen a non-genuine workshop manual for VS and can confirm the "34Nm, then 90 degrees not exceeding 90Nm, then 90Nm" was in that so that would appear to be correct for VS. It's possible the spec. was updated, there's a misprint in the VT manual I saw or I did get it wrong (I don't think so).

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I can see how it can be a bit confusing now Ive looked at the workshop manuals. The VT to VZ V6 and V8 gregorys workshop manual says the ecotec head bolts should be tightened to 34 Nm for the first stage, a further 90 degreees for the second stage, and to 90 Nm for the third stage, which is exactly the same as the VS ecotec.
The max ellery VT to VZ V6 and V8 workshop manual says the ecotec head bolts should be tightened to 34 Nm for the first stage, a further 90 degrees for the second stage, and then if theyre not at 90 Nm, tighten them a further 90 degrees, not exceeding 90 Nm. So the instructions are all pretty much the same from VS through to VY ecotecs, just worded differently.

Last edited:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Maybe it's better just to rely on the VRS instructions :).

It's got me bothered now because, knowing it's critical, I was careful and don't think I would have missed the "not exceeding 90Nm". And it was a genuine Holden manual. I think it's pretty clear now that it applies though.