Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Troys Neo Socket perfomance enhancment add on thingamajig review

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
For those who don't regularly follow the eBay lolz thread I'll give a quick update.

Purchased. I'll post back with findings. I figure for 6 bucks it could be worth a laugh.

After reading that a cigarette lighter adapter could save fuel, increase horsepower, lower emissions AND increase sex appeal (ok, so I made that last one up) for the measly sum of $5.99 I had to have one. My order was placed and after several games of Hungry Hungry Hippos my Neo Socket finally arrived!

The packaging was a little bent, I was really worried it may have adverse effects on the performance.
0282e185.jpg

I figure my test vehicle (a 2005 Toyota Hiace) is closest to a Yaris so that's what I am shooting for.
0e91b70e.jpg

Instructions. Laughable but absolutely necessary to contain the potential beast.
4e2e8709.jpg

And here she is!
3a276a31.jpg

I could barely contain my excitement when I opened the package. The quality was amazing, the design sleek, sexy and luxurious and I knew this product would put a grin on my face that only the sudden death of a close relative would be able to wipe off. Needless to say it was worth the wait!

After a quick read of the instructions (hey, it looks simple but you can't be too careful!) I ran outside to do a trial fit. I unlocked my soon-to-be street monster and quivered in anticipation open initial installation. I turned the key to accessories and my eyes lit up like the blue LED on a Neo Socket. IT WAS ALIVE!!! I switched off the key and that was when I noticed the first untold wonder of this product. My radio stayed on for about 5 seconds after the key was removed! I could hardly believe my eyes... I hadn't even started the car and already my investment had shown it's power. It had some how increased my battery power outage beyond the capacity of my normal charging system! I was lost for words. My Neo Socket had done something amazing and I felt as if I was on the verge of something big. I decided to remove it and find out what makes this device tick.

Over to my newly installed workbench to give it a workout it will never forget!

Disassembled. High quality internal fixtures outside AND in!
8fe83e56.jpg

The Flux Capacitor. Having little to no knowledge of electronics I assume that's what it is.
03886774.jpg

Upon examination I have to admit I was as clueless to the internal workings as the person who invented it. Even though the design was simple it oozed technical mastery which was unmatched by the 3 screws which held the whole package together. Inside was a spring and fuse assembly, an LED (which indicates the product is working) and a Flux Capacitor. Worried I would damage the delicate internals I put it back together and went to consider my fate should I decide to go ahead with a street trial.

I had a discussion with my fiance whether or not I should unleash the beast within. Our conversation quickly turned to 'What if I plugged 10 in? Not only would I launch into near-earth orbit with the increase in horsepower but I'd be PRODUCING fuel with each kilometer traveled!'. I decided it was time to nut up or shut up... I took the Hi(power)ace for a spin.

Upon initial start-up of the donk I could tell I was in for a shock. The newly found burble from my stock 6mm exhaust pipe was a dead give away. There was also a lumpiness reminiscent of my old mans worked 350 he had put in his 1963 Impala. Dad, if only you knew that you could have had the same result from spending $5.99 instead of $10,000. I allowed enough time for the VVT-i to get to optimal running temperature before asserting my position in the cockpit. The belts went on (tight) and I selected reverse. I felt like Neil Armstrong as he stepped into the unknown.

As I slowly cruised down to the first speed bump in my street (slowly as I didn't want to apply full power right away) I instantly knew there was a difference. The engine was smooth and angry, the exhaust loud and the gear changes snappy and lightning fast. I almost dreaded what was to come at full throttle. I decided to baby my beast up until I got to a quiet back road and then... it happened. The power, the rush... the fear of a fiery death and finally a lump in my pants (both front and back). As I planted my right foot my ordinarily gutless work van was now something that even Ken Block could not contain. The rear wheels lit up and before I could think I was at 80Km/h... and massively sideways! I feathered the throttle, corrected the steering and snapped 5 gear (which was unusual cos my van is a 4 speed auto) all whilst smoke was bellowing off my rear tyres. I started to wonder why the Neo Socket doesn't come standard in every HSV.

After a winning few red-light drags against cars that would normally flog my Hiace even if they were only allowed to use a maximum of 2000rpm in first gear I decided it was time to call my test session over. I drifted the whole way home and unplugged my Neo Rocket (as I am now calling it). As I stepped out I noticed that my van was in desperate need of new rear tyres as they were totally splattered up the rear guards. Wow... I forked out 165 bucks each for those not even a month ago. It was worth it...

Anyone who doubts this product should simply buy one and try it. You would be amazed! Out of a possible 5 stars I rate this a 15. It's mind blowing. Buy one now!

For those who are wondering where my Neo Rocket is now, I've locked it away where it can't fall into the wrong hands. I'd nearly be willing to sell it to the right person; one who respects it's power. Maybe I'll bring it out and use it in my Statesman for Summernats 25 in the burnout comp. I honestly don't know though, who knows what would happen if it was used incorrectly. All I know is that it's there... ready and waiting for the right time to wield it's awesome abilities. And on that day look out... I'll be sideways and hunting for my next thrill ride. It will happen, oh yes... it WILL happen!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
2200 microfarad capacitor. thats actually pretty big (seriously) must do good things=P
it must constantly charge and give the engine a boost by 10 fold of what the KERS system in f1 gives.

just imagine what would have achieved in a toyota yaris. it really would have lit up the rear wheels

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
All I can say is WOW............ I can't believe you bought one hahaha
Nice wright up Troy it was good for a laugh.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
You idiot you've released the evil/mystical power by opening it we're all doomed you mad man!!!!!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Ill buy it off you troy!! It sounds amazing!

Nice write up. Gave a good laugh.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
"The power, the rush... the fear of a fiery death and finally a lump in my pants (both front and back)" lol that line got me... write up made my night dude.... :beer chug:

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Contact the F1 circuit - this may help a few of the lower ranked teams. All they need is a hidden 12v outlet..