Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre shop scratched rims. How far to push this?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hence the reason i hate taking my car anywhere, yes i probably sound like a dick pointing out it has zero scratches on car or wheels. And i know its tempting to go for a thrash around the block but please dont.
May sound like a tosser but when i didnt say this seen a wheel guy scratch my tail gate in front of me!

Pointing out any scratches is a very good idea. It covers both parties from any potential conflict.

The test drive....That's a difficult one.....From my perspective, test driving a car before and after a wheel alignment is essential to make sure the car is driving satisfactorily for the customer and saves the customer coming back with a complaint....From your prospective, I can understand you'd be worried that the stranger behind the wheel is going to thrash it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
any large chain of stores is more worried about making figures look good for the shiny butts in head office so they can make bouns for the month , stores will compete against each other in sales of tyres batterys wheel aligments puncture repairs verus tyre sales shockers , they will work on the idea that for every two tyres sold they should sell a wheel aligment and start by upselling a 4 wheel alignment over a 2 wheel alignment saying its better for your car even if it doesnt have adjustable rear end , just a selling tactic .

push power steering flushes , injector cleans , shockers need to be replaced after 90000 kms , brake fluid flushes were they just suck the res and refresh the fluid .
even offer a preimum wheel balnce or on car balance then just give you the std wheel balance .

The up selling of a 4 wheel alignment, when it's only adjustable on 2 is a blantant rip off;

A premium wheel balance VS a standard wheel balance is another blantant rip off....A wheel balance is a wheel balance.....I have seen places that try the silver/gold/premium crap and have also walked from those sort of places because I can't be associated with ripping the general public off, with a gimic

Omega-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
Hmm, thanks for your thoughts guys... Bob Jane seems to have a pretty poor rep from everything I've now heard. I know they have to punch the numbers through but still I'm pissed off about the manger's attitude and basically being told I'm lying and should be thankful they will cover half the cost of a touch up.

To be fair, it's not like the absolute crap has been gouged out of the wheels all over, but they were perfect before and now they each have 1 - 2cm long gouges that have gone through the paint and clear coat. One wheel also has the inside rim deeply gouged up for 20cm, like the head of the bead roller dragged along it badly. You run your finger along it and the metal is all ripped up.

I know there's worse things but I'm pissed because clearly the previous tyres were put on without a mark being put on the rims, and then this bad attitude.

Anyway, I emailed their head office, we'll see what they say (if anything).

Omega-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
The funny thing is, as I walked out the door they have a sign there saying "Please rate our store on Google".

Well, they did ask...

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Don't go all guns blazing on them that won't get you far. But really they need to pay for it. Calmly tell them that it's not your fault your rims got scratched but you should not have to pay for half of their mistakes. **** happens but it's not your fault. They would not have offered to pay half of your rims were scratched before hand. So see how you go but you might need to play hard ball later if you don't get anywhere with that

If you go get a quote for having them painted you won't want to go halves.

I have literally had a Tyre shop tell me they will not fit tyres to my 20 inch rims because they were afraid of scratching them and recommended me to another shop. I'm thankful they were honest.

Omega-1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
Cheers man, I agree with that, **** happens and nothing is achieved by going nuts at them. I've been completely polite both in person and when I emailed. No response yet today.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
To be fair, it's not like the absolute crap has been gouged out of the wheels all over, but they were perfect before and now they each have 1 - 2cm long gouges that have gone through the paint and clear coat. One wheel also has the inside rim deeply gouged up for 20cm, like the head of the bead roller dragged along it badly. You run your finger along it and the metal is all ripped up.

A question for anyone who knows, is it possible to request that the tyre be removed and installed from the inboard side of the rim? i.e. So that the any scuffs or marks are on the side of the rim that is not visible when the rim is mounted on the car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Hmm, thanks for your thoughts guys... Bob Jane seems to have a pretty poor rep from everything I've now heard. I know they have to punch the numbers through but still I'm pissed off about the manger's attitude and basically being told I'm lying and should be thankful they will cover half the cost of a touch up.

I know there's worse things but I'm pissed because clearly the previous tyres were put on without a mark being put on the rims, and then this bad attitude.

Anyway, I emailed their head office, we'll see what they say (if anything).

The inside of the rim would have been gouged because of the way they put the rim on the machine.....The jaws of the machine should be open, so the rim is grabbed by the outer lip.....There is also a plastic cover, which goes over the jaws of the machine, which is there to prevent the jaws scratching rims. I suspect, they left the jaws closed when the rim was placed on the machine and opened them onto the inside of the wheel, without the plastic cover, which caused the gouging you described.

The section that is used to remove the tyre from the rim, also has a plastic cover that should be used to protect the lip of the rim....If this plastic piece isn't used, or is worn, this will cause scratching to the lip of the rim. From what you describe, either scenario would be applicable as to the cause of your rim damage.

The Bob Jane franchise is a little weird.....Some of the stores are owned by the company, whilst others are independantly owned, paying a fee to use the name. So it is quite possible head office won't reply

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A question for anyone who knows, is it possible to request that the tyre be removed and installed from the inboard side of the rim? i.e. So that the any scuffs or marks are on the side of the rim that is not visible when the rim is mounted on the car.

This depends on how the rim is designed...Some rims are designed so the tyre comes off the rear of the rim, (non visible side) however the majority come off the front.(visible side) If you try and remove the tyre from the side it wasn't designed to, you will damage the rim, no matter how much care is taken....

If you read by above post, you may understand how damage is prevented, when removing and re fitting tyres

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
So got any photos of the damage?