Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Unable to start car (key wont turn) and I don't think the steering lock is working!

don282

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series2 Executive Wagon
Hi I have a VS Series II EXEC which has all of a sudden developed a problem that I can't turn the key to start it. It first happened when I got back in the car after doing some shopping the key wouldnt turn, after trying a number of times it worked and I drove home. This problem has never happened before by the way, when I got home I tried it again and no go ,fiddled about with the key and after trying for about half an hour I had managed to start it 5 times and now it wont turn at all, I have tried both keys,so I decided to have a look and removed the plastic cover from under the steering column and decided to move the steering wheel for better access which I did and it dawned on me that there was no steering lock stopping me.
I am now wondering if in fact I have a steering lock problem that is what is causing me not being able to turn the key. This all started after parking the car.
Can anyone tell me how to get at the steering lock?, and has anyone else had this problem? I have a few GM VS manuals but gave up buying any more as most of the info said to go look in the VR manuals and after spending $300 on what I have I stopped buying any more.
Hi on further checking I dont think I turned the wheel far enough, the steering lock now appears to be working, How do I get the barrel out. Why would this suddenly happen if both keys are at fault! I have tried powdered graphite and WD40 with no change
Thanks,
Don...... how do I shift this post to where it should be ---- VR - VS FORUM

Last edited:

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
The barrel is stuffed. This happened to me in the VY one night. Had to leave the car in the on position with the key in it overnight under the carport so i could start it in the morning to go get it fixed. Sorry, i can't help you with the barrel removal.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL
Common problem i think, happened to our vs as well used to get stuck had to get it replaced.

ssvjones

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV ute
NEVER EVER use WD40 on a lock . I'm a LOCKSMITH , your ignition has failed because of 1 or more design flaws. Can be easily replaced

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Happened to my vx and my sons vy . I managed to pull the ignition lock out then pulled the barrel out of the lock and filed down the leading edge of the brass tumbler thingies with a nail file. The main cause of the lock not turning is because the key gets worn down over time and the brass tumblers don't fully retract and this stops the barrel turning. If you pull the barrel out do not pull the key out of the lock as it keeps the springs and brass thingies in place . Just file down the leading edge level with the barrel and refit it back into the lock .