Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Wongy,

I'm guessing the deal is that Autobarn pays commission. I was told some garbage by the salesman at my local store too. I inquired about maybe getting a second amp for my sub and using my current one to power all 4 speakers. Apparently that was pointless and I HAD to buy a new sub too to match the amp (which he tried selling a 4 channel, not the 1 channel I wanted). I have installed just speakers into a mates Honda and it worked great, they really did improve things. An amp is better and louder, but the headunit has an amp built in (that's what powers the speakers). Only ever owned 1 headunit without an amp. It's just that the inbuilt amp is tiny and not as good as an external one. What I'm not sure of is how much power the new speakers need to run, maybe there will be a volume loss, maybe not.

So at the end of the day, installing just new speakers (and removing the centre one) will make an improvement. And personally I wouldn't give that store any of my money if they're going to tell you garbage. (Besides, I paid hundreds less elsewhere).

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
has anyone had this series 1 VE alpine head unit kit fitted? Alpine Electronics of Australia
is it good? and has anyone replaced all speakers,head unit and fitted a system of this type-
replaced head unit, replaced tweeters,front door speakers,centre dash speaker,rear door speakers,fit parcel shelf speakers,fit x2 subs in boot?

so total of 11 speakers.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
dmp8810 - Yeah mate. Well sort of. I didn't use an Alpine head unit, I went Pioneer. But the new console is the same. (Picture on previous page). It's awesome as you can put your own headunit in and not have the old one. Steering wheel controls still work which is great too. The only gripes I have are :
- I think the standard HVAC controls look better.
- When switching on the front demister, the A/C turns on (as per standard), but you can't switch the A/C off and still have the front demister on.
- At night I can't see the buttons on the HVAC unless I drive under a street light or put the interior light on.

As for the speakers, I removed the front mid, not replaced (no point for my system). The fronts I put in Alpine SPX-17Ref running off an Alpine v12 amp. Woofers in door, tweeters are mounted in the trim where the old ones were as they didn't fit under it. Put a 12" sub in a custom box pointing through the ski hole also off the same amp. (I had the amp and sub from my last 'dore). Then just put cheaper Alpine speakers in the rear doors running off the head unit. So I can't really tell they are there. But it sounds good enough to me. Better once I get around to the dynamat. Still love to know what others did and how much they used.

So in all it's not perfect, but I think it still stomps all over the standard head unit and am glad I did it.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I finally upgraded my system and installed :

Hertz HSX165 splits in the front doors
Hertz ECX165 coaxials in the rear doors
Hertz HDP4 amplifier which i mounted in the boot

Thinking about a subwoofer now but need to find something slimline.

tpmax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE 6SPD MAN
Hey, I wanna do this to my 2008 SSV Ute, could anyone who as done this upgrade reply with what speakers they used and where they got them. I'm strugglin to find 2ohm splits.
Cheers

vrollin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Hey, I wanna do this to my 2008 SSV Ute, could anyone who as done this upgrade reply with what speakers they used and where they got them. I'm strugglin to find 2ohm splits.
Cheers

Any 4ohm will do mate, volume may be a little less, I didnt notice any loss really. I ran mine off the deck for a little while, no damage done, if you plan to amp them up then theres no need to even begin to stress. There should be pics in my thread of how I mounted the splits and where my amps are. Feel free to shoot through any questions :D

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
question; i have installed my rear speakers (rockford 4ohms) but have not gotten around to the fronts yet, which means im running 2ohm fronts and 4ohm rears, will this do any damage?

velj

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve sv6 ute
anyone no if a 4inch speaker will fit in the center of the dash?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
question; i have installed my rear speakers (rockford 4ohms) but have not gotten around to the fronts yet, which means im running 2ohm fronts and 4ohm rears, will this do any damage?
No, it's fine to run a higher ohm rated speaker as it will just get less power.

k2yjelly

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE lumina
hey i have a 2007 ve lumina, and this is a great post but it doesnt explain for my stereo how i run wires from head unit to LOC for sub..... which wires on back of headunit do i use to run for the sub as mine only has speaker wires that i know of.
help ASAP installing at the moment :p