Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
velj - I'm guessing a 4 inch speaker is not a 4 inch speaker. I know all 6 1/2" speakers are slightly different sizes. Also not sure about your setup, but mine had a weird speaker with 2 connections. I think the higher spec unit might be different, but lower spec didn't have a unique channel to itself. I went with the crowd and just removed it before replacing everything (and still left it out). Don't think it's worth it unless you have a true 5.1 system.

k2y - What stereo do you have? Does it have stock subs you're replacing? Are you putting in an amp for the sub only or the rest of the speakers too? The loc (line out converter) is from speaker wires to the amp. So if you don't have separate speaker wires for sub output, then you'll have to use ones for other speakers.

The X Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II SV6 SIDI
I am seeking a set of stock front speakers from a VE is anyone has some to part. Happy to pay postage costs too to SA. Decided to put back to stock and sell the rattling heap.

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Any advice for what brands/model speakers to use? I really dont know anything about whats a good speaker to use & dont want to buy rubbish & find out after i install them.
I also have a 12" sub & amp that i had in a previous car that I might put in the back of the wagon, is it worthwhile using this amp to power any of the door speakers to?

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Any advice for what brands/model speakers to use? I really dont know anything about whats a good speaker to use & dont want to buy rubbish & find out after i install them.
I also have a 12" sub & amp that i had in a previous car that I might put in the back of the wagon, is it worthwhile using this amp to power any of the door speakers to?

Another thing everyone is going to have a different opinion on. All I suggest is to get a CD of music you listen to and visit some car audio shops. Listen to some different speakers and talk to the salesman (but remember they're trying to sell, so don't believe it as certain truth). Don't go to supercheap/autobarn/sell all places for advice, never gotten any good advice there myself.
Find your budget and listen to different brands/models. Depending on the setup you want and your music taste, different speakers are better. Just because brand x makes a speaker Joe Blogs loves, doesn't mean all their speakers are as good, or that you'll think so, or they'll suit your system. (eg.- if you're running a sub, you don't need speakers better at producing bass notes).

As for the amp, that depends on what it's designed for. How many channels? I use a 4 channel amp, 2 channels for the front speakers and the other 2 bridged to drive the sub. IF I were to power the rears from an amp I'd now buy a seperate 1 channel for the sub. Also, look at the specs of your amp if you're going to run the speakers off it. Not much point getting diamond encrusted, moon dust, 1000WRMS super expensive speakers if your amps only putting out 20WRMS. Likewise I wouldn't put 20WRMS speakers on an amp capable of pushing 1000WRMS. (Not to say you can't, but why would you).

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
Thanks, yeah its a 4 channel amp 640w rating. Just looking for a budget upgrade using my sub/amp & some new speakers.

Matty.kerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Price for Caprice speakers (stock)

Hi guys,
I'm Looking at purchasing a full set of Bose speakers out of a caprice and putting them in a sv6. Comes with Bose amp too. Any ideas of what I should be paying?
Thanks in advance

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Not a lot given the quality, you'd be better of just getting a really good set of fronts and be done with it.

Matty.kerr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Cheers for the feedback. Are they not the best speakers? I'm looking at complete set for the car for around $100, front2 incl center, 2subs, 2rear and tweets. No good!?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well for $100 for the lot it would be worth it, especially if you can fit it all yourself. I was thinking somewhere around the retail price at which point it wouldn't of have been worthwhile..