Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Well done mate,what a write up.I what iam doing this weekend!

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Couple of questions.... whats the difference with 2ohm and 4ohm speakers? im doing axactly what you did, changing speakers and that is it, no subs no amps, so is it better to get 2ohms speakers? and why?

secondly, do you have any pics of the front and rear door speaker cradle things? if you took a **** load of photos ill give you my email and you can email them through, no matter how irrelevant you may think they are ;)

The audiophiles can answer the ohm question in huge detail with lots of calculations, talk of series and parallel connection and reasons to go one way or the other.
On a basic level though the amp (head unit) is designed to run at its best and stable with speakers of a certain load (ohms) so its all about balancing the amp and the speakers.
As I could not find a lot of data on the head unit and could not be certain how the head unit would handle 4ohm long term I decided to stay with 2ohm, the same as the existing speakers.
From what I understand 4ohm speakers will work but would require that you turn the volume control up a bit more to get the same volume of music out of the speakers. Also if you have other speakers that are 2ohm on the system then they will appear louder than the 4ohm ones. For example if you did the door speakers at 4ohm and left the centre speaker in which is 2ohm then the center speaker would be louder in relation to the door speakers and over power them.

As I used 61/2" speakers I had to trim the inner edge of the hole in the pod back by 5mm all round and put new screw holes in.
That inner edge has a drip guard on the top edge so that came off as well and I just hung a bit of plastic over the top of edge of the speaker when I put it back in the door

This is the pod with the original speaker
pod1.jpg

This is the pod with the slightly larger 6 1/2 speaker
pod2.jpg

I have a few more pics, some mine and others I have collected during my research
Its not a hard job and I don't know that they will help any but you are welcome to drop me a note and I will email them to you.
[email protected]

Last edited:

SV666

The Commodore Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXEC SII
Wow fantastic write up, I'm sure I will have to re-read all this to get it down. I realize you have the premium sound system as I have the sv6 I don't have the extra speakers subs and amp I think you did mention that the amps were for the subs in the parcel shelf only is this correct? Also I read somewhere on this forum regarding upgrading speakers without using amps can either cause harm to either the HU or the new speakers because of the HU giving out constant ohms without the amp balancing it all... but then again this could be the problem solver with the 4 ohm 8 ohm thing :) Just want to get clarification on the non premium system that this can be achieved as like yourself is to have a system that cannot be heard from a 1km away but having decent sound inside.

Also may I ask which speakers did you go with?

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Wow fantastic write up, I'm sure I will have to re-read all this to get it down. I realize you have the premium sound system as I have the sv6 I don't have the extra speakers subs and amp I think you did mention that the amps were for the subs in the parcel shelf only is this correct? Also I read somewhere on this forum regarding upgrading speakers without using amps can either cause harm to either the HU or the new speakers because of the HU giving out constant ohms without the amp balancing it all... but then again this could be the problem solver with the 4 ohm 8 ohm thing :) Just want to get clarification on the non premium system that this can be achieved as like yourself is to have a system that cannot be heard from a 1km away but having decent sound inside.

Also may I ask which speakers did you go with?

Yes I had heard mutterings about problems with the head unit and/or speakers if the speakers were not correct for the system so that is why I stayed with 2ohm same as the stocks. Having said that however a lot of people seem to have put in 4ohm speakers without any immediate issues as good 2ohm are a bit harder to find but being a little cautious I did not go that way.
While I don't have the standard system, from what I have read there is no difference in speaker type or ratings other than the centre speaker which is a dual coil. If in doubt pull them out and have a look on the back to check the rating.
Choices in NZ are a bit limited so I used Infinity Kappa 65.7cs splits in the front and Infinity Kappa 62.9I 2 way in the back.
A lot of the G8 owners swear by the Polk Audio db651 which are 4ohm

Yes the amp in the back is for the subs only, if you don't have the premium system you won't have the subs or the amp.

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Updated 19th Feb

Just added another section to the "How To" showing the removal of the rear parcel shelf to get at the subs for either replacing or dynamating and fixing rattles etc.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
In Australia I am having trouble finding Infinity Kappa 65.7CS. (Front splits). On the Infinity website, it looks to me like they may have been replaced with the 60.9CS. (The specs in the new brochure look the same to my untrained eye).

Does anyone know if this the 60.9CS is a good 2ohm front splits system?

Thanks

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Like most speakers some people love them and some hate them so reviews are all over the place.
From what I understand they are very like the ones I installed. I like Kappa's as they are clear and crisp with good mid bass. Some people complain however that even with the tweets on the low setting that they are still too bright.
It should be noted also that the Kappa's do settle in after a few hours of loud Linkin Park and become a little more mellow.