Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Is there anything in or around the tweeter assembly that could come loose and start rattling/buzzing?

I've noticed on bassy notes, my front right tweeter buzzes sometimes. I can't tell if it's the tweeter cone distorting or if it's a loose wire vibrating or something....I wouldn't have thought it was the cone since I'm assuming the tweeter wouldn't get any low frequencies anyway

The stock tweeters are not the best so it could be damaged.
Take the corner dash cover off and see if it still does it, should be much easier to pinpoint.

If the corner dash cover is not firmly clipped in it can rattle against the pillar or window.
The same can happen if the screw holding the little tweeter is not tight or the wires which just hang down under it can vibrate. I just taped a bit of bubble wrap around the wires which stopped the rattle.

s0011680

Reaction score
Members Ride
ssv ute 2010
has anyone found the ssv amplifier location for the subs, i've looked high and low and cannot find...

Ryzie.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
Followed this post on Friday when installing my speakers - is very well documented :) Thanks heaps!

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
I'll be purchasing all my speakers in the next couple of weeks, including the centre 4" which means, I'll have one 4" left over to sell...

Would anyone be interested? Rockford fosgate T142 top of the line rockfords...

Won't know how much I'm selling it for until I buy them, but purchase price divided by 2

Anyone interested let me know

decco

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Calais V
Would anyone be interested? Rockford fosgate T142 top of the line rockfords...

The 4" will definitely fit in the centre dash? If so I'd be interested in going halves with you, or obviously paying a little more for postage and your effort ;)

By the way, fantastic writeup boneart! I'll definitely be using this soon. You have changed my life.

s_t_r_o_b_e

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What an amazing write up. I just signed up so that I can say thank you. I was planning on paying someone to do the install, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend all the extra money knowing that I'd be able to do it myself. And you know what? You've just make that process infinitely easier!

A couple of quick questions;

The centre speaker - Any ideas of what a potential replacement for this might be? Any old 3.5" speaker, or is there room for a 4"?

The front door speakers - I noticed that you said you had to trim some of the pod. Did you need a particular tool for this, or just a craft knife or something? Any tips or tricks?

The crossover - was this easy to screw in? Did you just drill through the metal in the door and screw it into the frame?

Thanks, really looking forward to getting stuck into it this weekend!

Last edited:

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
hey boneart, a BIG thanx for the write up mate, threw some splits in the front and didnt cost me a dime in labour.. :beer chug:

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Yep, great write up. I did the back speakers and dynamat yesterday and doing the front splits tomorrow. Pretty easy to do.

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Thanks guys, glad the writeup was helpful.

Like most I just unplugged the centre speaker. I believe a 4 inch will fit but didn't try it myself.
Just make sure that it is the same or higher ohm rating to the new sides otherwise it will overpower them.

Trimming the pod if necessary is easy. I just used a small Dremel engraver/rotary tool I use for bone and jade carving so it just took a couple of minutes. You can get a cheap rotary tool set from SuperCheap for around $35 and its a real handy piece of kit for the workshop.
A craft knife will work well if you take it in small bites but if you get carried away and go too hard with a craft knife on plastic you will take a finger off.

The metal in the door behind the trim is very thin so a small pilot hole and either self tapping metal screws or even wood screws will go through it no problem.

Last edited: