Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upgrading VE Stock Speakers - How To

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Does anyone else have a problem with upgraded speakers venting a weird smell when the volume is turned up over 24? I've noticed this lately. I am amping the speakers next week if this helps at all.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
If speakers smell "weird" you're running them too hard and probably burning the coating off the voice coil. That small means turn it down :)

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Meant to say that they are running off the stock head unit at the moment. Can this still cause this to happen?

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
Im running them off the stock head unit and i was told to keep the volume below 21 or it will cause damage to aftermarket speakers. You'll definately need to amp them to get desent sound quality without cranking the volume realy high.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Oops.....26 might be too high then :)

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Awesome, cheers guys!!

My issue is more in the front of the speaker, from top of the basket to the door trim, as it's a weird tweeter setup. I've attached the specs so you can understand what I mean.

Also forgot to mention, this is for the rear doors, fronts should be fine hopefully... :s

Hey Troyziee, well I got around to putting the rear door trims back on today. And about now I should admit that I am blonde and it does catch me out sometimes. As it turns out the door handle doesn't leave huge amounts of room at the top screw. Not a major problem, but I used 16mm mdf which was too thick at that point. All I had to do was trim it down a little. Just thought you should be aware to watch out for this.
RearPod.jpg

After taking that notch out at the top it all fitted nicely. I guess you can do the same, or if the speakers are too big maybe use some slightly thinner mdf.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Well I've just started replacing my speakers today... only taken 2 years to get to it!

Imagine my surprise... after all this talk about 30W 2ohm speakers... I've removed my rears to discover I have 20W 4ohm! Component number 92158088. Mine is a 2009 MY10 SS.

I've yet to do the front, but this has pleased me considering I've bought Alpine SPS-610 (80W / 4ohm) for the rear and SPS-610C for the front. Also, the SPS-610 just slot straight in... you do have to use the spacer provided, but attach that to the plastic pod and then the speaker to the spacer... no other modifications required. I'll update once I've completed the front.

PS - thanks for the write up... it has helped a lot!

Edit: I've now completed the job... the tweeters were a bit of an issue but I found that the Alpine ones fit on top of the factory ones with some special glue and this was able to be screwed back in... it cleared the trim just.

It was interesting to see all speakers front and rear in the door were the same, and only 20W 4ohm (not 30W 2ohm as described earlier).

One of the problems I can see is the plastic sheet inside the front doors... it tends to rattle and go crazy at higher volumes so I'll invest in some matting soon. Apart from that it sounds sweet :)

Last edited:

jbray1984

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a VE
Hey, thanks for the guide.
I have one question that I hope hasn't already been answered, but I didn't want to shuffle through 3 pages of posts for it.
With getting at the centre speaker, you mention that you just pull at the top of the speaker cover. I can't seem to get at mine without first getting the very front piece of plastic (has the sun/night sensor on it) away from the cover. But I feel like I'm going to break it. Does this need to come off for me to get to the centre speaker or am I doing something wrong?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Hey, thanks for the guide.
I have one question that I hope hasn't already been answered, but I didn't want to shuffle through 3 pages of posts for it.
With getting at the centre speaker, you mention that you just pull at the top of the speaker cover. I can't seem to get at mine without first getting the very front piece of plastic (has the sun/night sensor on it) away from the cover. But I feel like I'm going to break it. Does this need to come off for me to get to the centre speaker or am I doing something wrong?

The centre grill bit that looks like a speaker cover does come off without the sensor bit... but it does take a fair amount of prying and pulling... it does feel like it's going to break (and in fact I actually broke one of the clips... but it still all clips back ok).