Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Urgent- changing water pump...

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I think my water pump is buggered so Im changing it. Some questions...

What is the best way to remove the old gasket? At the moment Im scratching it off wih a screwdriver.

Do I need any sort of gasket "goo" when putting the new one? Or, do you simply put in place and bolt the new pump on?

Is there any way to tell once the old pump is off if its buggered or not?

Thanks. Im doing this this afternoon so any quick suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I should add I have a cork gasket, and some silicon gasket goo. Dont know if I should use on or the other, or even both....

When I took the bolts out of the water pump, coolant started pissing out the bolt holes, is this normal ?

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I have just been told I should add some of the silicon gasket to the boltd as well???

Is this correct?

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
You need to clean the mating surfaces with a solvent (i.e. Loctite 7070). Most people use Loctite 515 (it's silicon-based) as the gasket sealant. Squeeze it on both sides of the gasket. Always a wise idea to use a torque wrench when reassembling, especially if you have a V6 as the bolts have different torque settings. The pump-to-block bolts are 20 to 30Nm, and the pump-to-front cover bolts are 14 to 18Nm. For the V8 they're all 23 to 30Nm.

Don't forget to do a full flush of the block when you're done (garden hose through the top radiator rose while the bottom hose is undone) and fill up using the correct coolant.

Mark.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
Gasket cement is the stuff to use. Make sure both surfaces are clean (the water pump and timing cover) and apply the gasket cement to the gasket which faces the waterpump surface. Stick it on the water pump then apply some more to the other side of the gasket. Now bolt on the pump and your done ;)