Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 Conversion For Vb To Vk

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
I have a 81 VH with a 202. It doesnt have a computer does it as there is nothing behind the left kick panel. Also do you know if I can use the VN power steering rack. I have a VN lexcen as a donor car and want to do all the homework before I start doing the conversion. What about the centre console ? Much modification needed ?

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
I have recently replaced my VR engine and loom with the supercharged 6. I have a V6 conversions loom and engine loom to suit VN-VR V6 to early commodore for sale. Comes with manual and auto ecu. Cost me over $500. Just plug and play.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
im thinking of this conversion myself as i have a donor vr, does anybody have wiring diagrams for both a vr commodore and a vk carby model commodore or a diagram of the adaptor loom so i can wire it up myself any help with these would be really apreciated thanks.

Holdenuup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK getaway car,VS Esteem
Stick with vb-vk front suspension for sure or if you want to be probmatic go for the vr-vs but don't go vn as they a weak spot between front sway bar to strut as when bushes wear they tend to bend the rod so for vn-vp they sell conversion kits back to vb-vk style as they have a short stuby rod to lower control arm rather than long 1 to strut.

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
:spew:I am now nearing the completion of my V6 conversion to my VK. I have an Ecotec with electronic auto trans from a VS fitted. I need to know if there any cost effective ways of getting the original mechanical speedo to hook-up and work with the auto trans ? I know that Castlemaine Rod shop sells a converter box, that converts electronic signal to cable drive, but at nearly $900 it is pricey.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I thought the VS just run a sensor off a pulse wheel in the gearbox making it impossible to run a cable, at that price i would assume they are making an electronic replacement speedo for the dash.

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
Have spoken to a couple of people in the trade, but no-one in Adelaide has a definitive answer. One suggestion was to use the output shaft and extension housing from the VN-VP Turbo 700 transmission, which had a speedo gear fitted that drove a mechanical sensor - in turn the mechanical sensor converted it to an electronic pulse. Remove the mechanical sensor and install the matching gear on the end of your speedo cable and you have a speedo that works. However you still need an electronic signal to talk to the computer that controls the gearbox.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
What i did with MY VP T5 was unscrew the electronic sensor and had a cable made up to screw into the old sensor drive, then you can buy inline speed sensors that mount mid cable, they have to have the cable specially made for it although. I would assume the same setup will work with a Turbo 700 with the VN/VP rear section and speedo drive fitted.

jpetrou

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL EFI/ Monaro CV8
That sounds encouraging, where did you get your cable and sensors done ?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
At my local instrument shop, there called 'Whittaker's Speedo Service' but im sure you should find a shop in Adelaide that will do the same job.