Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8 Supercar engine 5L or 6L?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Its a 5 ltr fuel injected V8,but the teams get to put in their own produced parts,jonnoo is 100% correct

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i did some quick research on this "holden motorsport " motor and found nothing conclusive. is the block and heads made here in oz or made in america?

one guy reckons they're made here, another reckons they're made in america by gm motorsport.. dunno who to believe, if either of them.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
i did some quick research on this "holden motorsport " motor and found nothing conclusive. is the block and heads made here in oz or made in america?

one guy reckons they're made here, another reckons they're made in america by gm motorsport.. dunno who to believe, if either of them.

I'm pretty sure Harrop did them and supplied them to the teams like many of the components. Made in Aus.

Reaper

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
iirc the holden engines are a gm aurora block, the same as they use to run in the pro stock truck class in the nhra with a sb2 design cylinder head similar to the yates style head that the fords use. not much holden motorsport about them apart from i think the teams have to buy them from holden motorsport.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
They all 5L run "Holden Motorsport 5 Litres" and have done for ages. Last Chev was run way back in '05 (might have been '04) in the VY's.

Reaper

the 'Holden Motorsport' engine is a still essentially a small block Chev with a shortened deck, manufactured by GM (Aurora)
The rest of the engine was built to HMS specifications, including the fitment of symmetrical cylinder heads, injection system etc.

So yeah in a nutshell, Holden didn't manufacture the engine. They simply chose the bits and built it to their own specifications that CAMS approved.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
HMS engine was chosen for it closeness in design and spec to the ford 5L (bore, stroke and degree of V), this happened with "project blueprint" (project ford needs to win because the holdens are too fast) in either '03 or '04 memory fails atm lol, also switched front ends from Mcpherson strut to double wishbone like the fords. All the cars are essentially the same now apart from looks.

peterg2121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
[jonnoo];1847512 said:
^ thats prety interesting! :)

and also they have 635bhp

what are you sure 635 bhp im building my 5L up and its got

5l block bored, decked flat
355 stroker kit lightened crankshaft forgie pistons
keeping the heads couse they are cast iron but got them ported to the max larger valve stronger spring
going custom grind cam solid lifters couse u can get an extra 50 or so horsepower from it adjustable roller rockers
msd ignition system
haltech ecu
and a come racing manifold and still only looking at the 500 horsepower mark at the wheels

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
what are you sure 635 bhp im building my 5L up and its got

5l block bored, decked flat
355 stroker kit lightened crankshaft forgie pistons
keeping the heads couse they are cast iron but got them ported to the max larger valve stronger spring
going custom grind cam solid lifters couse u can get an extra 50 or so horsepower from it adjustable roller rockers
msd ignition system
haltech ecu
and a come racing manifold and still only looking at the 500 horsepower mark at the wheels

as already said, the 5ltr v8 supercar engine is nothing like the holden production 5ltr engine, complete different engine

Status
Not open for further replies.