Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V8s and L plates.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Just been looking at the NSW RMS site about L drivers. Plenty of info about what P1s and P2s can do / drive ....... like 130Kw per ton.
Can a L driver (legally) drive a V8 ?
Not that it is going to happen here, nobody but me and missus drives mine, but I'm curious as I can't find an answer in the 'good book'

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Learner can drive whatever they like, so as long as they are with a supervising driver whip out the Lamborghini.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
It does appear to be that way, but in such a highly regulated activity, I thought that it would be spelled out so that there would be no grey areas.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
It does appear to be that way, but in such a highly regulated activity, I thought that it would be spelled out so that there would be no grey areas.

its normally what ever car is avaiable at the time of learning to drive but once on Ps its a different story ,,, dont see to many lambo's with L plates on them thou more the toorak tractors or the BMW's around town

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
In Victoria, you can drive anything from a Datsun 120Y to a Bugatti Veyron on your L's, provided you're accompanied by a full licence holder

Once you hit your P's, that's when the restrictions kick in

LH Torry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy acclaim
yep, taught my X in my worked v8 LH. oh what fun, smoke and can't get in trouble lol

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The only real restriction for L platers in NSW is the stupid 80kph rule. (ridiculous when your doing 30kmh more on the Hume for example)
All Learners from any state have to follow that as it is in the legislation.
And then any learners from NSW have to continue to do that in other states as a condition of their licence.