Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VB-VK Production Option Availability

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Ok, here is mine.....and what I reckon it means.....

8VK69BR : VB base model sedan
514953 - S : Built in Sydney
1189 - 63V : don't know about 1189, but 63V i think is buckskin vinyl
568 - 10981 : 10981 means Firethron Red, not so sure about 568
L14=HC 3.3L6, M40=Trimatic Auto, GU4 must mean 3.08 Diff

Don't think this had any special option packs, does come with power antenna, dwell wipers, LH exterior mirror; am thinking the dwell wiper control was part of an option pack, others were accessories

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
Its great that we know what the codes mean but other than those on the compliance plate, Where are they written.I have looked everywhere. Cant find them.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
They aren't, only on the build papers which some cars had, some didn't. With the option pack, VC onwards had a three number code which some know what they got.

angus05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
G'day all

As you can see, my names Angus, Gus or goose for short. Up to you guys and girls :D

Anyway. I have an '85 VK Berlina (I'll start a tread to show her off a bit later on). I decided to decipher the body I.D plate lastnight and I've hit a few snags.

Af the end of the model number on my plater there is a "-213"
From what I can Gather this is the option pack my car was built with. The codes this pack cover are L14 (3.3L EST L6 Engine) M40 (Trimatic Automatic Transmission) and GU4 (Axle Ratio 3.08:1)
my understanding of these option packs is that these three codes were not standard on the Berlina? (tell me if I'm wrong)

Also the RRAxle code on that same build plate reads GU5. An axle ratio of 3.23:1 (apparently unique to the VK model)
So with two different Axel codes, any idea which of these I actually have?

Also, my trim codes.
Exterior code is - 3042
Interior and trim is - 15P
Ideas? I know the paint Colour name is "Pacific Blue" (this name is on the dealer receipts)

Other than that I have the plates all sorted.

Thanks for any help and I can't wait to have a good look around this forum.
Cheers!

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
2=Berlina spec model, 1=this would be the 3.3lEST 6 banger and 3=M40/trimatic.
Thus if it had 223, would be Berlina, 3.3L EFi L6 auto, 233 is Berlina with V8, be that 308 or 304ci/

There is the very rare 234, Berlina V8 manual.

The RRaxle code could be due to A. yours is an 1984 built car with Salisbury diff, hence GU4/3.08:1 ratio. B, GU5/3.23:1 is used from 1985, a borg warner diff.
So what you have on your build plate, the one with model code, paint code etc, is what your car should have factory.

angus05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
August 85 so it's GU5
I knew it was a borgwarner

Exellent. That answer those questions. Thanks SL/ENUT

Any idea why a breakdown of these 3 digits isn't as readily available as a breakdown ofthe rest of the plate?!

Also, why put this info on the model numer if the same info is all listed on the very same plate??

So my Berlina was not optioned with any abnormal parts?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Usually the three digit codes are on the broadcast sheets, build papers. Some of these made it in a few cars, often under the carpet and in the VL range. I have a book of tricks here, i'll post up what your Berlina would of had tomorrow morning.

The option pack has other more detail info.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Ok, your 213 pack Berlina, has very little. You have already posted what you have, thats what my book as.

angus05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Thanks SL/ENUT

So even though my option pack says GU4, I'd have a GU5 because That what my build plate has on it as RRAxle??

Also, because I have that option pack, does that mean a EST 6L wasn't standard in the VK Berlina??

Well now I just have to figure out my trim and I'm a happy man :D

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Always go on what the build plate has. The book only has what i called a base fiqure on what the car has.

usually the EST 6 202 was the base motor, the EFi 6 and V8 optional in Berlina's. All the early girl Commodores have a base motor and works up to the big 308/304.