Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE 6-Speed ATF Capacity and Fluid Change

tandawwg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Hi guys,

Already searched a few threads on here but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for so hoping maybe someone could help me out. I have a 2009 VE Calais 6-Speed (6L50) and just wanted to know the transmission fluid capacity as I'm getting a lot of different answers. I went to my local supercheap to purchase some DEX VI and the computer said I needed 5L. I then went on here and looked and someone else had mentioned 6.3L (I believe this was for an SSV so not sure if they have the same 6 speed).

Anyway I dropped the trans sump down and it dropped exactly 5L. After typing this all out it seems like a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure should I fill it all the way to 5L? I filled 4L and then removed the sump plug to see if it dripped out (at 40C) and it was a very slow drip so I thought it would be fine. After running it through all the gears I took it for a quick drive around the block to test it and after putting it in drive for a couple of seconds it made a gurgling sound then stops. I stopped and started it again then drove it around the block to see if it made the same sound and it does.

I will fill more ASAP but obviously I didnt want to overfill so thought I would check here first.

Bob33

Reaction score
Members Ride
e3 maloo
cant really overfill these. you'll know its full when your tryinh to put more fluid in it and its coming out the fluid fill/check tube. it can get messy so have a catcher under it.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
You've answered your question....

If 5L came out, then 5L is going to need to go back in

See where you're coming from though - sometimes catalogs and places like super cheap can give you the incorrect quantity - in this case though, it seems spot on the money