Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Yer I worked with a bloke that told me if the timing belt is stretched, get it repaired. I asked him what if it snaps. Valve, piston, just something that's going to put you out of pocket if it goes. He used to work on 1/4 mile cars and tracks cars.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
As some one posted it is a fidley job but can be done in half a day and the chains can be common to stretch

what you will generally find is a noticeable noise from the engine + engine lights coming on

So if it only takes half a day, and the chain itself is around $35, why the hell is it so expensive to get fixed? I thought most of the costs involved was labour..

Last edited:

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Thats just crazy. I could never justify spending nearly half of what the cars worth to do a bloody timing chain! I'd rather burn it and get the insurance.

I'll stick to my Emotec thanks...

The Lone Gunman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Group 3
Took it to a holden dealer. they qouted $3200. rang up some other holder dealers around nsw, wollongong holden said $1800. Big difference

Dealer quotes vary just as private repairers. Gateway Holden do not replace the guides or tensioners as part of this quote, chains only. Once the front covers are off and if the guides require replacement they will requote. Dealers should quote the maximum price for the repair and advise at the time it could cost less once the covers are removed and internals are inspected.

The chains stretch due to extended service intervals. The recommendation for oil and filter changes is 15,000 which is the maximum the oil should go. 10,000 service intervals would be better and avoid this problem. If the vehicle has been bought as a 2nd hand unit, you would have to take the previous owners word for it that it has been serviced correctly. Even taking the service interval out to 17 or 18,000 km is risking timing chain stretch.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
My Statesman has ALWAYS been serviced on time everytime but the timing chain is on the way out. I was told the full replacement kit with revised chain set is about a grand and 500 bucks labour. Car goes in in just under 3 weeks to get it done. Might start putting my service intervals at 10K from now on.

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Troy711 where in Canberra are you getting your chains replaced? Mine need doing as well.

The Lone Gunman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Group 3
My Statesman has ALWAYS been serviced on time everytime but the timing chain is on the way out. I was told the full replacement kit with revised chain set is about a grand and 500 bucks labour. Car goes in in just under 3 weeks to get it done. Might start putting my service intervals at 10K from now on.

If you have the documentation to prove to Holden that your vehicle has been serviced at the correct intervals, ie invoices from the repairer and/or log book stamped, and the vehicle is just outside the kilometre/time warranty you should ask for assistance on the repairs. Even if Holden pay 1/4 of the repair it is at warranty rates and not retail. Doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Honestly, I really couldn't be stuffed tryin to get them to cover some of the cost. They would likely say that they will cover 500 bucks provided I get a dealer to do the work which will end up costing 2,500 bucks. I'm saving money getting done elsewhere.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yeah will clarify my post above, the price I paid was pretty much replacing everything, all 3 chains, guides, tensioners, seals etc. They did quote $3 - 3.5k originally, and said it might be less depending on what parts needed replacing, but given that pretty much everything was replaced, it came to just under the original quote. The service advisor did go through the warranty assistance request process for me, but Holden came back with an offer of zero :p Not surprising considering I'm the 2nd owner, the car is 3 years out of warranty, and the previous owner didn't always have it serviced by Holden. And yeah, they will only consider warranty assistance if the work is performed by a dealer.